Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Offroad AT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My '08 XT OR spontaneously threw a SES at 179k mi the other day, pulled P0443 - EVAP Purge Control Valve Circuit Malfunction with my scanner. No obvious problems in how it ran, threw again after clearing codes to rule out a one-off. Feels slightly weaker, maybe 10%, accelerating on the onramp and on extended inclines. Still there with no extra codes 200mi through the mountains later.

Gas cap problems have been ruled out; a poor seal there is associated with this code. Rechecked the tightness and inspected the O-ring, which had no signs of weathering. Ruling this out especially considering the SES showed 190mi and several ignition cycles since the last fill-up.

Next I moved up to the EVAP Canister Purge Control Valve in the engine bay. Unbolted and unplugged that to find that the valve was closed with no power. Per the manual (EC-234) the valve should prevent airflow when no power is supplied, opening the valve when 12V applied.

Emissions diagram on underside of hood

Engine bay

From manual, EC-234

Unfortunately I'm halfway through a move and 90% of my tools are sitting in a storage unit. Tomorrow I'll be picking up some wire I can use to see what happens when I connect it straight to the 12V battery. If the problem doesn't end up being there I'll desperately need my multimeter to test the continuity in wire harnesses and solenoids to begin.
Will probably blast a can of CRC Electrode Cleaner, or something of that ilk, and give it a few taps to try bringing it back to life. It could just be a matter of a jam in an old part. Available for $80 from RockAuto if this is the problem.

If those checkout I'll move to the EVAP canister in rear. The X has spent most of its life in dusty Colorado, so a problem there isn't out of the question by any means. Even if I isolate the problem elsewhere sooner I'll be pulling it for cleaning with some compressed air and adding a filter and extension to the breather tube. Might try to get a video of that and put it on YT if I can find my GoPro and stand by that time. Didn't see any comprehensive walkthroughs when I checked briefly.

Unsponsored plug for the nonda OBD scanner. You can get it free with ~$10 shipping. Bluetooth connection can pull & clear P0 codes and give limited real-time feedback. Pretty sure they get away with it by selling some sort of data from you, but works fine even with Location/GPS permissions disabled; definitely read the T&C before you use it if that's something that's a concern to you.

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Offroad AT
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well this won't end up being the helpful thread I anticipated. I was able to confirm that EVAP canister purge control valve was working properly by hooking it directly to the battery. Whatever the problem was, it cured itself after a little bouncing around on some washboard and a rutted out access road to one of my fishing spots.
Will still be clearing out the lines to the rear canister, rerouting and adding a filter to the breather tube in hopes of preventing a reoccurrence. Best of luck to anyone else who runs into this problem!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts