Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping for a little help on what to look for next. My 09 Xterra drove like a dream when I got it 3 years ago. I put new tires on it myself a year ago, balanced them with an old bubble balancer and sticky weights. Seemed fine then too. The steering started to get a little bit loose over the last 6 months, and pull a little to the left, and in the last month I noticed that my front drivers tire has excessive wear on the outside edge, where it's wearing every other knob at an angle and creating a sharp edge. I realized the outer tie rod ends were super sloppy, so I replaced them, and the slop is gone, but it still pulls to the left. After I replaced the tie rod ends, I started to notice a bit of a steering wheel shake at freeway speeds. So now I'm wondering what's next. Are my tires out of balance, and I just never noticed it because of the sloppy tie rod ends? Did the bad balance cause the tie rod ends to fail? Where is that pull to the left coming from? Other worn components? Should I bring it in and have it balanced at aligned, or is there other obvious things I should check/replace first? I'm not at a total loss here, and Google is my friend, I just hoped to get a point in the right direction from all you experts :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
481 Posts
Check all the steering and suspension bushings and ball joints if anything is sloppy replace it and get it aligned or if all is good and tight then just get an alignment if you still have trouble then it is likely your wheel balance. A bad wheel balance can damage other components like tie rod ends ball joints and bushings but that takes time it is not gonna happen in a short time frame of like a couple days to a week unless they are already about to go out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here's the problem: ". I put new tires on it myself a year ago, balanced them with an old bubble balancer and sticky weights."
A proper wheel balance from a pro tire company (guaranteed for life of tires) and a lazer alignment job from the same type of place is a good investment and gives you a known place to start from. Also, can prevent the kinds of issues mentioned above.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts