Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All,

I'm trying to install my new Nineo's but running into issues or need to trim. I can't get them to lock into place or the white collar to lock down. Could someone post a pic or explain where you have to trim on the collar? Steps I followed:

1) Pulled out new LED, removed collar and slide Stock retention collar over bulb. Put aftermarket collar back on
2) When I attempt to install into the housing, neither the bulb nor the stock white collar will lock in place.

Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Those LED headlights look similar to the Katana brand I installed. They probably all come from the same Chinese factory but are branded differently. Anyway, your assembly looks correct. It will feel like the cord and white lock collar don't fit properly when held in your hand, however when installed ON the vehicle, it should fit. Make sure to orient that slightly forward yellow LED on top and the cord on bottom when installed in the headlight housing, otherwise it will be upside down. I put notes somewhere on this site about my LED headlight install. I'll look for the post.

·
on line
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The LED collar comes off. Should I install that first, then install the white retainer collar and then push in the LED back into the collar?

I could try that approach.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The assembly in your last picture looks correct. That assembly as you have it should install into the headlight housing. Take a look at this thread. Someone posted pictures of the assembly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You may need to push the o-ring sliding collar down further closer to the white lock ring so it clicks on the metal retaining ball, similar to how socket retention can work.

·
on line
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got them installed. What I ended up doing, was installing the LED bulb collar, putting on the white retainer collar, and then inserting the bulb housing into the collar.

Quick follow up, did you mount the driver (ballast) or just tuck it out of the way to the side?

Overall, not a bad mod for the money. Now, I need to see what lights to use for the stock boob light housings.

Rick

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got them installed. What I ended up doing, was installing the LED bulb collar, putting on the white retainer collar, and then inserting the bulb housing into the collar.

Quick follow up, did you mount the driver (ballast) or just tuck it out of the way to the side?

Overall, not a bad mod for the money. Now, I need to see what lights to use for the stock boob light housings.

Rick
yep, that's the way to do it - first install the metal collar using the white collar and then inserting the bulb itself and position it correctly.

I highly recommend you ziptie the drivers somewhere so that they don't wobble themselves to death and cause contact issues...

·
on line
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I've only taken it for a quick spin around the block, but for the price, they are great. It now has me wanting to update other bulbs starting with the Off Road lights and interior lights.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
on line
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep, that's the way to do it - first install the metal collar using the white collar and then inserting the bulb itself and position it correctly.

I highly recommend you ziptie the drivers somewhere so that they don't wobble themselves to death and cause contact issues...
Good suggestion to zip tie the drivers, they do have some heft behind them.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yes, I've only taken it for a quick spin around the block, but for the price, they are great. It now has me wanting to update other bulbs starting with the Off Road lights and interior lights.

I have my roof lights, headlights and fogs all LEDs. It's great and was just a hair under $130 for it all.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I’ve had to dremmel the center of the retainer ring some for different brands. Some of the fans have angles on them that prevent the ring from snapping into place correctly

·
Registered
177 Posts
But if you do have to cut alittle out don’t over do it, cause you still wanna be able to use halogens in a bind on the road if needed and if you take to much out you won’t hold a stock light in anymore

·
Registered
358 Posts
I didn't have to trim anything with my NineO's. The collar wasn't the easiest to install, but when I lined it up and pushed it hard enough, it locked in place. The trick I found is to install the black collar and the white collar without the bulb, then you can slide the bulb into place and rotate to adjust. I think the wire is at the 6 o'clock position on mine.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You didn't have to trim collars for beamtech? Can you share which model and how they've been for you?
You didn't have to trim collars for beamtech? Can you share which model and how they've been for you?
I’ve been happy with them they have way less dark spots and better cut off less scatter then the OPT7 ( which were rated #1 at the time) I have them paired with winpower h11 in my fogs and love them. And I can actually see difference between dims and brights unlike others I’ve tried, here’s the ones I used. And j in just keep the old halogens in ten besmtech box and keep in car just in case I need to swap out on raod but to be honest for the price I might just buy a second set to keep in my truck for back up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hope they have a decent beam pattern and y'all aren't driving around blinding people.
they have about same cut off as stock way better the the opt 7 they were horrible and patchy got flashed by on coming drivers twice and thru them in our old hauling truck and the cabin and tried out the beam tech.. The beam tech have a more defined cutoff since then I haven’t had any issues and not once flashed by anyone since

1 - 19 of 19 Posts