Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Trying to figure out what is wrong with my X and I don't even know where to start with this one. Here goes...

When at the gas pump, the pump will click and stop well before the tank is full. I usually get to 2-3 gallons then have to start the pump up again and again until it is as close to full as I think I can get.

Any idea on whats wrong?

TIA.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to take a look, its near the rear tire right?

I don't have any codes so I didn't think to check any of that stuff. It actually just passed SMOG last week.

·
on line
7,144 Posts
It's your EVap system. There is a new part that they put in do to malfunctions. I had mine done after having the X about 2 years. It should be covered under the 8 year/80K emissions warranty. Otherwise see if the dealer will cover it since it's a pricey fix

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
It's probably your evap vent valve not letting the air out as the gas tank fills. This is especially noticeable with those CA style "seal to the filler lip" type gas pumps. Clean out the evap vent line and/or try changing the canister vent valve before you buy a new evap canister. Do you have or have you ever had a SES light with an evap code?

Evap emissions systems are a PITA. Probably 90% of my CEL/SES lights in the cars I have owned have been due to that system.

·
on line
2,362 Posts
I have a couple pumps this happens to, but only rarely.
If this only happened once, call it a bad pump and don't worry about it.
If it happens all the time and at a bunch of different pumps, then get into working on it.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Search feature pays off!

Have not been able to put in a full tank all at once for about a month now. The pumps were shutting off after dispensing 10 gallons or so, last night I was only able to get just over a gallon at time in. I don’t go to the same station every time so I knew I was not an issue with the pumps. SES light has not come on for mine.

After reading a few threads I’m guessing my vent line is blocked. I’m still under the 80,000 but rather than spend hours at the dealer I may tackle this myself if it’s just as simple as taking the Evap box out and blowing air through the lines.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I occasionally have the same issue ... probably ought to do the same thing (blow out the vent lines). Might wait for it to warm up a touch, though ... it's currently 12*F out ... :toothy3:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
This is on my "to-do" list... my lazy a*s has put it off for about 3 months now. SES light has been on the whole time and the whole gas pump *click* thing only happens once in a while. I should be doing this soon though. I don't see any long term issues at this point but I do realize I have been putting this off for way too long.... :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts