Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
on line
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my first trip in the Xterra this past Easter long weekend. I went up to Ward Creek which is about 85 kilometers up the West Pavillion FSR from Lillooet. This trip has become somewhat of an Easter tradition for me. I first went up there in 2002 with the Lionsgaters 4WD Club in my 1985 Toyota 4Runner. In 2003, 2004 and 2007 I went up with my Honda ATV in tow.

Our campsite is at the base of some impressive hoodoos.

The West Pavillion FSR is a well travelled, maintained gravel road. The area is essentially a desert; dry, dusty with huge diurnal temperature fluctuations.

Since Easter is early this year, a good part of the road was mud, snow and ice covered. My first impression of the Xterra's handling is that it gets a little squirrelly and the VDC takes some getting used to. I ended up turning VDC off for most of the trip.

We took an old parallel road that hangs on the cliffs over the Fraser River. The road is quite narrow in many spots with slides that make for some interesting off-camber sections. There really is only one challenging section on this road and it is a sluff that requires some road construction and guts.

My friend in a solid axle Toyota 4Runner went first. Unfortunately he had a Detroit Locker in the rear which was a factor in his predicament.

We just about lost him and the truck when his rear end kept sliding down the sluff with nothing to stop him from rolling 400 feet down into the muddy Fraser River. It took us about 2 hours of more road construction to get him safely up an over. Once through, he continued on to camp with another friend on a dirt bike. I decided to turn the Xterra around and take the long way back and around to camp.

Aside from a lot of fresh pin striping from rocker panel to roof line, the Xterra performed admirably. I'd say it's "broken-in" now. My wish list is for rock sliders and a trailer hitch since the thing doesn't have rear tow hooks.

·
on line
2,072 Posts
nice pics.
Looks like fun, is your 4runner buddy coming with you this Saturday?

·
on line
272 Posts
***Originally posted by VA7XS

My wish list is for rock sliders and a trailer hitch since the thing doesn't have rear tow hooks. ***

If a tow hitch for a 2004 fits your year, I have a spare tow hitch for sale. Let me know if you are interested.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
RoughRoad said:
***Originally posted by VA7XS

My wish list is for rock sliders and a trailer hitch since the thing doesn't have rear tow hooks. ***

If a tow hitch for a 2004 fits your year, I have a spare tow hitch for sale. Let me know if you are interested.
thats a great wish list, but maybe it should start with I wish I had the cash right now to purchase the following mods....

I am still wishing for my lift to get done..... :cheers:

·
on line
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
miles said:
thats a great wish list, but maybe it should start with I wish I had the cash right now to purchase the following mods....
My complete wish list is contingent on me winning the lottery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts