Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Just got our new to us X and planning a mid-October road trip from California and could use a little help.....

Please keep in mind we have a stock 2011 PRO-4X, ARB diff cover but no rock sliders yet and don't want to damage anything. I have been riding dirt bikes for 30 years, have a RZR since 2008 but this is my first modern 4X4 vehicle (1978 K5 Blazer back in the day). It will be my wife and 10 yo son with me. and we are in the pre planning stage.

Places we have to stop to see family are Winslow AZ, and Pagosa Springs CO. so those will be our two long travel days. Well they will all be long travel days but those are stops we have commited to.

Now from Pagosa to Moab it appears we could detour to either Imogene Pass or Black Bear Pass?
Thoughts...

·
Registered
211 Posts
So I live in Grand Junction now and lived in Alamosa in the San Luis Valley for many years. Imogene is pretty gnarly man! Google Black Bear Imogene and one of the first things that pops up is "death toll"! When are you planning on heading this way? We got a big September snow storm that has made the San Juans pretty dangerous. Numerous reports of shelfs of ice on back roads sliding off the roads w/ jeeps and Xs driving on them. Not fun! Pagosa is beautiful and there are lots of places to explore, but I'd stick to main roads to get to Moab

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I live in Grand Junction now and lived in Alamosa in the San Luis Valley for many years. Imogene is pretty gnarly man! Google Black Bear Imogene and one of the first things that pops up is "death toll"! When are you planning on heading this way? We got a big September snow storm that has made the San Juans pretty dangerous. Numerous reports of shelfs of ice on back roads sliding off the roads w/ jeeps and Xs driving on them. Not fun! Pagosa is beautiful and there are lots of places to explore, but I'd stick to main roads to get to Moab

Thanks for the input. Weather will ultimately determine our path as October can go either way. We will be there October 12. I'm pretty confident in my ability and self control just not sure if it is something a stock X could do but would be a nice change from the interstate. Been off-roading for 30 years but it is easier to pick a line on a dirtbike, LOL.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Last week I did the east side of Black Bear. It is narrow, few places to pass, but a fun drive. Keep in mind that you have to do Black Bear from east to west as once you start down the Telluride side it is one way. If you are stock, stay off of it.

As for Imogene, they did a some work to it but it still is an "interesting drive" to say the least. I did Ophir Pass, and it must have gotten mad at me as it punched a hole in my oil pan. The shale is very loose and the rocks will roll under your tires. It is like being on marbles.

Best advice is to check with the Ouray visitor's center and some of the local jeep rental places and get the latest trail info from them.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking I will just take the good advice here and pass Imogene and Black Bear for this trip and spend a little more time in Moab. No reason to chance it that far from home.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Thinking I will just take the good advice here and pass Imogene and Black Bear for this trip and spend a little more time in Moab. No reason to chance it that far from home.

good idea, i've done a few trails in colorado, and planning to do BB/ Imo in 2021, and ill admit im a little nervous about both my personal and my rigs' capabilities. I wouldnt risk that on a family road trip. maybe find some easier/ less dramatic trails to get some off hwy time.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
good idea, i've done a few trails in colorado, and planning to do BB/ Imo in 2021, and ill admit im a little nervous about both my personal and my rigs' capabilities. I wouldnt risk that on a family road trip. maybe find some easier/ less dramatic trails to get some off hwy time.
Yankee Boy Basin, Owl Creek Pass, Last Dollar Road. All easy, and the last two have ties to the original True Grit movie. ;)

·
on line
2005 Nissan Xterra OR
933 Posts
Yankee Boy Basin, Owl Creek Pass, Last Dollar Road. All easy, and the last two have ties to the original True Grit movie. ;)
I want to jump in the X and check those out right now!
__

I'll be interested in your post trip report, @mikidymac. As our kids get a bit older I'm sure my family will be headed on a similar trip in the not so distant future.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm camping in Ridgway this weekend! If you are in the area it is worth the stop at the Saw Pit for some bbq! Last Dollar is a great drive. I'm doing more fishing and color chasing this weekend. FINALLY caught a couple of gorgeous rainbows on my tenkara rod. I was starting to think it was never gonna happen! Unfortunately the only pics I got are long distance from my wife...didn't feel like turning my phone into a brick wade fishing. But here's some of the area today. Still pretty hazy from the smoke.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm camping in Ridgway this weekend! If you are in the area it is worth the stop at the Saw Pit for some bbq! Last Dollar is a great drive. I'm doing more fishing and color chasing this weekend. FINALLY caught a couple of gorgeous rainbows on my tenkara rod. I was starting to think it was never gonna happen! Unfortunately the only pics I got are long distance from my wife...didn't feel like turning my phone into a brick wade fishing. But here's some of the area today. Still pretty hazy from the smoke.

Awesome. Sounds like a great time. I’m so glad my wife and dog are cool with exploring and me picking spots off a map to possibly fish

·
Registered
206 Posts
Check out the Google Earth file linked in my signature for tracks in Southeast Utah area and shoot me questions. I color coded the tracks based on difficulty (e.g., green are ready and red are hard). A stock P4X will be able to drive anything at moderate (yellow) and below.

I live in Moab and have a slightly lifted P4X, so I know where to see coming from. (y)

Edit: this file. I thought I linked it in my signature.... I'll have to fix that.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check out the Google Earth file linked in my signature for tracks in Southeast Utah area and shoot me questions. I color coded the tracks based on difficulty (e.g., green are ready and red are hard). A stock P4X will be able to drive anything at moderate (yellow) and below.

I live in Moab and have a slightly lifted P4X, so I know where to see coming from. (y)

Edit: this file. I thought I linked it in my signature.... I'll have to fix that.
As of today me too. Just added the Deaver AAL and PRG 1/2” front spacers.

Any good places to boondock in Moab? Was wanting to camp Onion Creek but looks like you can’t anymore.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there any good trails in southern Colorado we could do to see some old mining that would be fun on our drive from Pagosa to Moab. Just don’t want to do all Highway. But Black Bear and Imogene will be a little much.

·
Registered
206 Posts
... Any good places to boondock in Moab? Was wanting to camp Onion Creek but looks like you can’t anymore.
There are tons of places to dispersed camp around here. There are loads of camps along the Copper Ridge trail, between Willow Springs Rd and Klondike Bluffs, Gemini Bridges, and out Dubinki Wells Rd to throw out a few places to look into. Check the information kiosks or the BLM website (Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Campgrounds – Discover Moab, Utah) for more information. If you scroll down the BLM campground page there is a great map of dispersed camping areas.

Is there any good trails in southern Colorado we could do to see some old mining that would be fun on our drive from Pagosa to Moab. Just don’t want to do all Highway. But Black Bear and Imogene will be a little much.
There are a bunch of easy to moderate trails on the Alpine Loop. And they are all AMAZING! Check out my Google Earth file, or Silverton and Ouray Jeep trails. (where I got most of those tracks in the first place... LOL).

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are tons of places to dispersed camp around here. There are loads of camps along the Copper Ridge trail, between Willow Springs Rd and Klondike Bluffs, Gemini Bridges, and out Dubinki Wells Rd to throw out a few places to look into. Check the information kiosks or the BLM website (Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Campgrounds – Discover Moab, Utah) for more information. If you scroll down the BLM campground page there is a great map of dispersed camping areas.

There are a bunch of easy to moderate trails on the Alpine Loop. And they are all AMAZING! Check out my Google Earth file, or Silverton and Ouray Jeep trails. (where I got most of those tracks in the first place... LOL).
Thank you, I'll look into all of those.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Now from Pagosa to Moab it appears we could detour to either Imogene Pass or Black Bear Pass?
Thoughts...
Hello!

I'd suggest looking into where you can go on Navajo, Hopi, and Ute back-country roads in your own vehicle with and without a local guide.

It appears as though a number of the gems through that area are or have been closed due to the severity of Covid-19 on the reservation, though (Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley, Navajo Nation Tribal Parks, Ute Mountain Tribal Park, etc). Nonetheless, it might be well worth digging around to see what actually is or will become available.

You used to be able to drive up to near the base of Shiprock Peak, but a website I found says that's currently forbidden.

It's fantastic country to drive through, even if you're stuck on paved roads.

Rte 163 westbound out of Bluff, UT breathtakingly takes you over Comb Ridge. Might work for you if you come back down Rte 191 after Moab. The Twin Rocks Cafe in Bluff had a great dish of sweet potato enchiladas the last time I passed through.

Have a great trip, please post some pics afterward.

Galen

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
From Pagosa you head to Durango, then up 550 to Ouray and on to Montrose where you take the Rimrocker to Moab.

EDIT:
Actually from Durango you go to Delores and pick up the Delores to Norwood Trail, and then the Dave Wood Trail, and you end up near Montrose and then you take the Rimrocker to Moab. A lot of off road trails but easy to do overall.

·
Registered
2011 PRO-4X
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok gang, been looking at a lot of maps and taking your advice so see what you think of my plan....
Pagosa Springs to Colorado Highway 550. Turn at Purgatory Ski Resort to Hermosa Park Road (578) to Highway 145 then to Highway 141 to Gateway CO. From Gateway we will take John Brown Canyon road until it splits with the connector to Onion Creek Trail.
Then into Moab on Highway 128 and then explore Arches NP and Gemini Bridges. Although that RimRocker looks cool......

From there we will head South and check out Natural Bridges and Valley of the Gods then Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon North Rim, finally Bryce and Zion.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Monument Valley is closed at this time. You need to check with the Navajo Nation about its status.

The route you have sounds interesting and doable. Hermosa park road may have snow on it up high or even be closeed late in October. Keep an eye on the weather.
The run up 141 to Gateway is an interesting one. Keep an eye on your fuel level, stations are few and far between, and as always remember that the locals need gas too. When I'm that far off the main roads I tend to use as little local gas as possible. Take the time to snoop around Gateway at the resort. Very POSH!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts