Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, from what i can tell my paint job is totally ruined. the x was parked under some trees during the tropical storm last week (don't ask) and it got tree sap all over it.

it was promptly rinsed (during the end of the storm) and then thoroughly washed the next day sunday, but it is covered with tree sap. spotted on every flat surface of the truck, mainly the hood, roof, and fender flares.

i have tried washing, waxing, buffing, tar/bug/sap remover, and even clay. nothing seems to work (clay would work if i wanted to spend about 40 hours on the job.)

who has any experience with this? i have the environmental warranty on the paint, so Im about to turn it over to a shop.

thanks in advance.

·
on line
240 Posts
Rubbing Alcohol on a paper towel will remove tree sap. I know from experience having grown up in Florida with pine trees. You will have to wax afterwards though, but it will not hurt the paint.

·
on line
143 Posts
JasonK06X said:
Rubbing Alcohol on a paper towel will remove tree sap. I know from experience having grown up in Florida with pine trees. You will have to wax afterwards though, but it will not hurt the paint.
Any solvent will open the pores....not a good idea even when you don't notice a thing right a way.....

·
on line
143 Posts
dynamix said:
well, from what i can tell my paint job is totally ruined. the x was parked under some trees during the tropical storm last week (don't ask) and it got tree sap all over it.

it was promptly rinsed (during the end of the storm) and then thoroughly washed the next day sunday, but it is covered with tree sap. spotted on every flat surface of the truck, mainly the hood, roof, and fender flares.

i have tried washing, waxing, buffing, tar/bug/sap remover, and even clay. nothing seems to work (clay would work if i wanted to spend about 40 hours on the job.)

who has any experience with this? i have the environmental warranty on the paint, so Im about to turn it over to a shop.

thanks in advance.
When you buffed, how did you do it? What compound did you use?
This will definitely take off sap, but don't wait too long or you will have "crow feet"..
http://www3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001...us_aad_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

·
on line
240 Posts
Xterraclamper said:
JasonK06X said:
Any solvent will open the pores....not a good idea even when you don't notice a thing right a way.....
Proof?

I know many detailers that use rubbing alcohol for tree sap without any problems. I used it on my car 10 yrs ago, and the paint is still there and in good shape.

·
on line
143 Posts
JasonK06X said:
Xterraclamper said:
JasonK06X said:
Proof?

I know many detailers that use rubbing alcohol for tree sap without any problems. I used it on my car 10 yrs ago, and the paint is still there and in good shape.
Ok...Good luck with that....I could be a bit more "picky" than others... :happy11:

·
on line
295 Posts
Uh, cover it with trail mud? Sorry don't have a suggestion 'cause as y'all know i never wash mine 'cause it's UGLY!!

·
on line
2,081 Posts
I have a fix for you. But it's not easy to find in the US. MER gets rid of Road Tar & Tree Sap amazingly, I use the stuff here in AZ to get rid of road tar, which is a real problem with the hot weather here.

My folks in the UK ship me over a bottle when I need it, maybe you can find someone in the US that sells the stuff tho. http://www.merproducts.com/carcare.htm

Just put that stuff on neat and rub it in a little on the sappy areas. No solvents / no abbrasives, works like a charm. I parked my old X under a Pine tree here at work once and had a similar problem which that stuff removed.

·
on line
134 Posts
I usually use the Goo Gone on my rigs and its worked well with no negative results on the paint. Lately I've been lazy and just letting the sap dry then scrap it off with one of my wifes plastic frosting spreaders. Obviously not worried about surface scratches though....

·
on line
20 Posts
I had a similar problem with Paintball paint...splatter from the balls blew onto my truck (not direct hits) from the wind. NOTHING would take it off, even used goo gone, paint thinner, and tar remover. I ended up getting a carwash brush that hooks to the hose (the kind that squirts water out the bristles), a short one so I could get leverage...and hooked it up to my inside faucet where I could get HOT tap water. It took a lot of scrubbing and a few yelps from the hot water hitting my hands, but it all came off. I guess its kind of the "melt it off" theory. Worked great and no damage to the paint at all.

My 2 cents! good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks the hot water theory just might work. im going to try in the AM with rubbing alcohol and hot water *(not at the same time)

yes i tried goo gone, wd-40 (most recently), and when i buffed it was with a random orbit buffer, cheap one from wallyworld. and the wax was some liquid wax. not a buffing compound or anything.

i have several more ideas to try tomorrow. so wish me luck. i was quoted $400.00 to have it professionally done, with a new sealant coat as well.

time will tell...

·
on line
11 Posts
at a dealership I work at the dollup shop uses Turpentine to get sap and road tar off of paint. I know it's a little scary to use but I have done it before and it get road tar off very easily and then just rinse after.

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: --Well I've never had tree sap on my vehicles, but a lot of road tar, from trips to Reno Nevada---

--Try some Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) just slIght rubbing and it Immediately disolves tar--might work on tree sap. No damage to paint, just have to re wax--

--Get MEK at any paint store--

-- :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Taken from Wikipedia:

* The primary use of methyl ethyl ketone is as a solvent in processes involving gums, resins, cellulose acetate, and cellulose nitrate. (1)

* Methyl ethyl ketone is also used in the synthetic rubber industry, in the production of paraffin wax, and in household products such as lacquer and varnishes, paint remover, and glues. (1)

Sounds like it'd work quite well actually, although the bit about "paint remover" is a little alarming.

I'm assuming it'd be used more for unfinished/unsealed paints though, and probably wouldn't do any harm?
________
Scientology forums

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: --Yo syndicate--

--I've been using it for years on my yellow corvettes--

--there has been NO damage--of course I always washed and WAXed immediately--

--good luck-

-- :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,667 Posts
two words: Clay Magic.

comes in a kit with a spray wax cleaner and a bar of clay. removes everything. bugs, tar, SAP, etc. spary it on, rub the clay over the effected area and your done.

i just bought some on ebay for $22.

·
on line
21 Posts
If you can get it at a gas station, gasline antifreeze works awesome, I used to detail for 6 years, it does nothing to the paint at all and takes sap off instantly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts