Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the regional section, but wanted to mention it here as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anyone local know of any trails in the Estes Park/Boulder area that are good for a mostly stock PRO4X. We will be in the area during the week of September 17th and would appreciate any advice for first time visitors. The only mods that I have completed so far are a 1.5" lift, rear recovery points and a Hefty engine skid. No sliders yet, so I would shy away from any of the more serious trails with large rocks. It's my wife' DD, so body damage is out of the question.

Would be willing to join a trail run that is already planned or if someone wanted to join us, that would be fantastic. Pretty excited to finally get out to that area and explore some of what it has to offer!

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Pole Hill (moderate) is closest to Estes Park. The hardest part is within the first half mile. It's a rocky area with multiple lines.
Bunce School Road (easy) is south near Allenspark. This is one of NORAC's adopted trails.
Switzerland Trail (easy) is further south and a bit beyond Ward.
There's others, but these are the most do-able stock.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at both the Switzerland and Bunce School trails as possible outings that seemed doable. Thanks for the Pole Hill suggestion. I have seen that there are some off-shoots from these trails as well, but that might run into tough sections, I don't know?

Probably will only have time to do a couple trails anyway.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at both the Switzerland and Bunce School trails as possible outings that seemed doable. Thanks for the Pole Hill suggestion. I have seen that there are some off-shoots from these trails as well, but that might run into tough sections, I don't know?

Probably will only have time to do a couple trails anyway.

There is a place on the main drag that rents jeeps for off road use, or was 2 years ago, .nice people stop in and say hi, they have an extensive library of trails, as matter of fact if you can find their website i believe they even mention a few of the trails nearby. We spent the day on some great trails, actually had a snow storm at altitude. fun time . challenging but not crazy with a spotter in 2-3 places. don't pass it up ,, great stuff up that way. We went up hoping to see wildlife, didn't see a thing until we came back to town ,,,elk grazing along the busy main blvd!!

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Bunce has 2 offshoots that are harder. Ironclads Loop would at least make sliders highly recommended. T33 is not for stock or going alone. Bunce also connects with Middle Saint Vrain and Coney Flats but they are harder as well.
Having run each a lot, I'd recommend Pole Hill 1st, as it has some nice views. And though it's not real wheeling, Fall River Road in RMNP is very scenic. I'd recommend running it early in the day, like being at the start before 8am. And be aware that snow could possibly close it and Trail Ridge Road, at least temporarily, in your time frame. It snowed enough up there already to have briefly closed both in late August.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. Good info on what to do and what not to attempt. I was really hoping we would sneak in before the snow sets in and closes trails. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed on that one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts