Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some options for carrying trash outside the passenger compartment, when you dont have a spare tire bumper carrier?

I can think of some ways to strap one down tot he rear hatch, but its not ideal when you open it. one idea i have is a bag that can be hung on the rear, and off the side using the roof rack rails, so that when you stopped camping, you can remove it from the hatch and hang it on the side.

any other ideas?
pics are always welcome!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I strap a trasharoo to my hatch. I have relatively new hatch struts. Even with 1 or 2 bags of trash in it, the hatch stays open by itself. With no trash in it, the hatch opens up by itself.
but when you open the hatch does the trash not leak or fall out?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use a garbage bag while camped then stuff it into a cheap duffel bag ($20 at Marshall's or someplace like that) that gets strapped down on the roof when traveling. If I had a tire carrier bumper I'd go with a trasharoo.

That sounds simple and effective, thanks!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the Kelty Trash Pak the other day and I'm planning to hang it from the standard roof rack on the hatch. See photo from the Kelty website:

View attachment 144438

Yeah ive considered those as well, again, how do you deal with the hatch opening? on the pic included its on a van where the door opens out to the side..

i guess if you just make sure the trash bag inside the pack is tightly closed its not a problem?

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're right. That would be a PITA. I'm thinking of using the Kelty for packing out the trash for a long day on the road. Then again, maybe it won't work--in which case I've discovered a reason to get a new rear bumper and a tire rack. With so much that I need for this new rig, I find it hard to justify spending a lot of money on things that simply look cool. [now excuse me, while I duck out of the line of fire.]

I hear ya! there is no shortage of "Stuff" that we could buy!

Im not saying it wont work, i guess i just have this fear of trash "juice" leaking out! I suppose the best thing to do is a combination of things. either use something like the kelty or trasharoo, while on trail, then when at the camp site just hang it on a tree or something, then when your leaving strap it onto the back.

though i may go even easier and just do the trash bag and duffel bag, and strap the duffel to the roof when im leaving camp.

love the discussion though!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have on a few times tied a regular trash bag to my cb antenna mount, which is off the rear corner above the taillight. only did that a bit at the camp site and from the campsite to the main road where there was a trash can.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I ran the strap underneath the rear wiper blade, so I think it would easily get over the strap. But honestly, I don't think I have used my rear wiper since having it on there.
Yeah, sometimes I forget its there until its really dirty or dusty and im like OH! I have a rear wiper!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts