Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some options for carrying trash outside the passenger compartment, when you dont have a spare tire bumper carrier?

I can think of some ways to strap one down tot he rear hatch, but its not ideal when you open it. one idea i have is a bag that can be hung on the rear, and off the side using the roof rack rails, so that when you stopped camping, you can remove it from the hatch and hang it on the side.

any other ideas?
pics are always welcome!

·
Registered
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
579 Posts
I just carry a good heavy duty contractor grade trash bag and strap it down on the roof rack while on the road or trail.

·
Registered
2008 Off Road, Auto, Budget boost lift
10 Posts
Personally, I strap a trasharoo to my hatch. I have relatively new hatch struts. Even with 1 or 2 bags of trash in it, the hatch stays open by itself. With no trash in it, the hatch opens up by itself.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I strap a trasharoo to my hatch. I have relatively new hatch struts. Even with 1 or 2 bags of trash in it, the hatch stays open by itself. With no trash in it, the hatch opens up by itself.
but when you open the hatch does the trash not leak or fall out?

·
Registered
2008 Off Road, Auto, Budget boost lift
10 Posts
but when you open the hatch does the trash not leak or fall out?
Definitely not going to fall out, as we have the trash in bags and the lid of the trasharoo closed. We just got back from a camp trip with it and didn't have any leakage when the hatch was open. But, pretty sure we didn't have any cans or drinks or other stuff in there.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use a garbage bag while camped then stuff it into a cheap duffel bag ($20 at Marshall's or someplace like that) that gets strapped down on the roof when traveling. If I had a tire carrier bumper I'd go with a trasharoo.

That sounds simple and effective, thanks!

·
Premium Member
2013 Xterra PRO-4X
70 Posts
I got the Kelty Trash Pak the other day and I'm planning to hang it from the standard roof rack on the hatch. See photo from the Kelty website photo for the setup on this:

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Attachments

Reactions: mtnbound

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the Kelty Trash Pak the other day and I'm planning to hang it from the standard roof rack on the hatch. See photo from the Kelty website:

View attachment 144438

Yeah ive considered those as well, again, how do you deal with the hatch opening? on the pic included its on a van where the door opens out to the side..

i guess if you just make sure the trash bag inside the pack is tightly closed its not a problem?

·
Premium Member
2013 Xterra PRO-4X
70 Posts
Yeah ive considered those as well, again, how do you deal with the hatch opening? on the pic included its on a van where the door opens out to the side..

i guess if you just make sure the trash bag inside the pack is tightly closed its not a problem?
You're right. That would be a PITA. I'm thinking of using the Kelty for packing out the trash for a long day on the road. Then again, maybe it won't work--in which case I've discovered a reason to get a new rear bumper and a tire rack. With so much that I need for this new rig, I find it hard to justify spending a lot of money on things that simply look cool. [now excuse me, while I duck out of the line of fire.]

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're right. That would be a PITA. I'm thinking of using the Kelty for packing out the trash for a long day on the road. Then again, maybe it won't work--in which case I've discovered a reason to get a new rear bumper and a tire rack. With so much that I need for this new rig, I find it hard to justify spending a lot of money on things that simply look cool. [now excuse me, while I duck out of the line of fire.]

I hear ya! there is no shortage of "Stuff" that we could buy!

Im not saying it wont work, i guess i just have this fear of trash "juice" leaking out! I suppose the best thing to do is a combination of things. either use something like the kelty or trasharoo, while on trail, then when at the camp site just hang it on a tree or something, then when your leaving strap it onto the back.

though i may go even easier and just do the trash bag and duffel bag, and strap the duffel to the roof when im leaving camp.

love the discussion though!

·
Premium Member
2013 Xterra PRO-4X
70 Posts
I hear ya! there is no shortage of "Stuff" that we could buy!

Im not saying it wont work, i guess i just have this fear of trash "juice" leaking out! I suppose the best thing to do is a combination of things. either use something like the kelty or trasharoo, while on trail, then when at the camp site just hang it on a tree or something, then when your leaving strap it onto the back.

though i may go even easier and just do the trash bag and duffel bag, and strap the duffel to the roof when im leaving camp.

love the discussion though!
I plan to put a contractor-quality plastic bag inside the Kelty. "Should be bullet-proof." Famous last words. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Haha

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that when you go to dispose of the large contractor or leaf bags or even the kitchen bags, many of the service stations don't want you to use their trash cans and putting trash into their dumpsters (without permission) is technically theft.

We've found that it is way easier to use the smaller grocery sized bags. Yes you will use more of them but you aren't overloading a garbage/trash can at a service station. Being discrete is the main goal of disposing of trash.

·
Premium Member
2013 Xterra PRO-4X
70 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that when you go to dispose of the large contractor or leaf bags or even the kitchen bags, many of the service stations don't want you to use their trash cans and putting trash into their dumpsters (without permission) is technically theft.

We've found that it is way easier to use the smaller grocery sized bags. Yes you will use more of them but you aren't overloading a garbage/trash can at a service station. Being discrete is the main goal of disposing of trash.
PERFECT example of why I'm a noobie. LOL
Thank you for sharing, Brunnie. Never would have thought of that!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
PERFECT example of why I'm a noobie. LOL
Thank you for sharing, Brunnie. Never would have thought of that!
It happened to us. Gas station owner didn't like that we filled one of his trash barrels up. So now it is the smaller bags.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have on a few times tied a regular trash bag to my cb antenna mount, which is off the rear corner above the taillight. only did that a bit at the camp site and from the campsite to the main road where there was a trash can.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts