Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My window sticker includes: "Vehicle Security System w/Remote Keyless Entry." The manual discusses this and then describes "Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System (if so equipped)". It talks about registered keys. Are these the keys that are referred to on the forum as transponder keys? How do I know if I have the Immobilizer System since it is not listed on the sticker? If I do, it means a savings to me on my insurance; basic alarm does not give as big a discount. Also, the manual talks about "interference from another registered key, an automatied toll road device or automatic payment device on the key ring", and how to restart if you encounter such a problem. I have a Speed Pass wand on my key chain (for Exxon/Mobil stations) and wondered if this would potentially cause a problem. I received three keys w/ my X: two with the silver Nissan logo, one solid black. The salesman said the black key was a valet key and would only unlock and start the car, not unlock liftgate or glove box. He didn't mention anything about transponder keys or unprogrammed keys. Can someone shine a light on this for me? I have to go to the stealership today anyway (since they stole my Retractable Cargo Cover as stated on my sticker) and figured I might educate them on some points they might not have covered when I got my vehicle check out talk.

·
on line
291 Posts
buxwheat said:
The salesman said the black key was a valet key and would only unlock and start the car, not unlock liftgate or glove box.
Your glovebox locks?

I got the same three keys. The valet key does open the liftgate. I don't understand what the valet key doesn't do that the other do.

·
on line
559 Posts
Yes, the Vehicle Immobolizer is the transponder in the key. Yes, there have been occurances where the Speed Pass has interfered with the Immobilzer system. I have the speed pass too, but I hang it off a separate key ring on the same main key ring where the car keys are so it hangs a little lower.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your glovebox locks?

I got the same three keys. The valet key does open the liftgate. I don't understand what the valet key doesn't do that the other do.[/quote]

Yes, I have an '06 w/ a locking glovebox, and no, the key won't open the liftgate (seems kind of pointless since it allows access to the inside of the truck anyway).

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Yeah i have a locking glovebox too and when (i think it was MC) posted a 'How-To' install on the locking gloveboxes i thought he was a little crazy. but i guess it is a standard option on the 06+. because i got basically a bone stock 'S' model and mine has the locking glove box.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
wow.. that's news for me too. I think i need to read in that "how to.." from MC. anyone remember the thread name?

·
on line
1,884 Posts
I just remember it seemed ridiculously expensive to instal a lock that really won't keep you stuff all that safe. Maybe from the valet,, but definitely not from a thief...

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
max6spd said:
Yes, the Vehicle Immobolizer is the transponder in the key. Yes, there have been occurances where the Speed Pass has interfered with the Immobilzer system. I have the speed pass too, but I hang it off a separate key ring on the same main key ring where the car keys are so it hangs a little lower.

I still don't know if I have the Vehicle Immobilizer or not. How do can I tell? Just in case I do, I will keep the Speed Pass away from the keys.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
Yes you do. The transponder is the immobilizer as the X won't run (immobilized) without the transponder present.

Hence the issue of remote starting the X. You need to have a key present to start the X, thieves know this, open the car take the key and drive off with the vehicle...

·
on line
168 Posts
I had a vehicle immobilizer installed by the dealer when I bought mine. I removed it. What a PITA. It has been relegated to a drawer in my shop.

·
on line
291 Posts
Ok, so now I'm confused.

What is the valet key for? I took mine out to my car and it most certainly opens the lift gate. Am I missing something? Did I get duped? Will superman save louis lane from the forces of evil? oh wait, skip that last one.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
that makes to of us, just not on the super man part :p
I took my valet key and it does open the lift gate too

·
on line
291 Posts
I just read the manual, it's on page 118 of the PDF or section 3-2 of the real manual.

It states that all the keys have a transponder.
And it also says the master keys can open all locks. But it says nothing about the valet key not being able to open all locks.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now I'm more confused. My valet key definitely will not open the liftgate nor the glovebox. The key won't even insert completely into the keyholes for either the liftgate or the glovebox. According to the manual, yes both the two master keys and the valet key are equipped with transponder chips. But the next section again discusses Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System Keys (if so equipped) (Section 3-2 of the manual). Interestingly, the manual's only reference to the valet key states, "To protect belongings when you leave a key with someone, give them the valet key only." Yet it doesn't mention which locks it can't open. So again, does my truck have the immobilzer system or just the Vehicle Security System? Have to call the insurance man tomorrow and it might save me some $.

Thanx for all the replies, hope I'm not whipping a dead horse with this question.

·
on line
559 Posts
\
Easy way to test and it'll cost you $4. Go to a locksmith and have a key made. It won't have the transponder. See if your car starts. If it does, you obviously don't have the transponder in the key. If it doesn't, add that key to your house key keychain and use that whenever you lock your keys inside the car and you'll have the key to open the door.

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No further whipping of the horse will be necessary. I called Nissan today and was told all Xterras except the X model come with the Vehicle Immobilization System. And I will take the advice posted to get an unprogrammed key, hide it in magnetic box on frame somewhere, and hide a programmed key inside the cockpit (probably underneath the cup holder section of the console) in case of lock out.

·
on line
3 Posts
buxwheat said:
No further whipping of the horse will be necessary. I called Nissan today and was told all Xterras except the X model come with the Vehicle Immobilization System.
Sorry to beat the horse some more, but they're wrong. I have an 05 S model that has no transponder.
I found out the hard way when I ordered a couple of keys on ebay. I went to a local affiliate to get them cut and programmed and the guys told me there was not a transponder in my origianl keys. I kept them anyway and got a refund for reprogramming the keys.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts