Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to give some info on the P1757 error code and what I've experienced with my '05 X.

One year ago I was driving out of town and pulled off the freeway to get gas, when I went to accelerate from the light the truck rev'ed but only crawled along until it was up to speed. I found a AutoZone and read the code P1757 for the Front Brake Band Solenoid Circuit. After doing some research I learned that the truck went into limp mode and basically locked the transmission into 5th gear. I decided to limp it home (about 100 miles) since it ran fine at freeway speeds. I found a local transmission shop that was willing to pull the TCM (Transmission Control Module) out for me (I didn't want to deal with the mess) and I confirmed that the copper trace for the Front Brake Band Solenoid had in fact fatigued and broke. There's a YouTube video on how to solder it back together so I did that, reinforcing it with some wire. The shop put everything back and it's been running fine for the last year. Until this week...

I was pulling into work and the same issue re-appeared. Truck went into limp mode and I was able to get it back to the same transmission guy in town. It looks like the truck threw the same code P1757 again. The good news is that Dorman now makes a re-manufactured TCM (PN: 609-050) and emailing them they said that "prior errors have been corrected" and it's covered under a "limited lifetime warranty". The other good thing is they come programmed and are plug and play. You'll need your VIN # when ordering so they can program it. They run about $400 w/ core exchange. I ordered mine through Rock Auto with the discount code. It'll get installed later this week along with a new solenoid for the Front Brake Band just in case. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally got my X back on Saturday. Back on the road and everything seems to be running well. Shifting smoother than before too. We put in a new Front Brake Band Solenoid too just in case since we were in there.

When I originally ordered from Rock Auto they were out of stock from the manufacturer, they canceled by order and gave a refund. I then found it in stock at Parts Geek at a similar price so I ordered from there. Have to send back the core for a deposit refund still.

Note that the TCM was plug and play. I didn't have to provide Parts Geek with my VIN.

I had bypassed the radiator years ago, time to replace cooling system and hook everything back next.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ran into the same issue couple years ago and like you I watched the youtube videos and soldered the broken band. Because mine was water/coolant damaged too, the rubbery parts of the solenoid body had stuck to the valve body. So all the solenoids were stuck in place and I broke some of them trying to get them out (you need to get the solenoids out to access the TCM). I replaced the broken solenoids, cleaned up the unit from water/coolant and placed it back in but I was not able to get it to work. I ended up replacing the TCM and Valve body and that saved the transmission. Along with multiple flushes and a new radiator of course. It's nice to see that you were able to fix it. Now that you have it running good, don't waste time getting a new radiator, the bypass is not a permanent solution. There can be situations where you might risk overheating your transmission.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the problems continue...

About a month after installing the remanufactured Dorman TCM I got the P1757 again. Strangely enough, it seems like the transmission locked itself into 4th gear (the first time it was 5th).

I also realized during that time that the TCM wouldn't let me turn off overdrive (before it threw the code again). I could hold the button down to make it downshift but it wouldn't stay there.

I contacted Dorman and they said that I must have a defective unit and to return/exchange it out with the retailer. I was getting ready to start the RMA but found that PartsGeek is out of stock of the remanufactured TCMs.

I did the solder fix once and it held for about a year before it broke again. I think putting in a new brake band solenoid could have put additional stress on the copper trace of the reamanufactured TCM and broke it.

I'm deciding if I want to wait for a replacement TCM to become available or if I want to pull out the TCM and try soldering it again.

I came across a video of someone covering the copper trace in silicone RTV after doing the solder repair to try and reinforce the joint and limit movement. Anyone out there tried this? I also had the wild thought of reinforcing the solder repair with some JB Weld but wasn't sure if it would react with the ATF and cause other problems.

I thought about welding the copper trace back together but you can't get it all the way out and away from the plastic. I think the excess heat would damage something. Maybe a tiny spot welder that they use for linking battery cells but that's an expensive experiment.

I'm out of ideas for a long term fix. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
I've seen people use hot glue as a backer/fill on electronics they didn't want getting busted up from vibration, but that was in places where it wasn't going to come into contact with anything liquid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have tried it. So far it's holding but what I realized is non of these manufactured units actually pop the plastic cover to check to see if the pins are broken. They scan them on the bench but the code shows up with there is vibration. The only good news is it wasn't sent to them as a core from water damage. I would pop the cover. Find a way to make a very thick and strong solder joint. Then what I did was put some The right stuff grey rtv around it on both sides then sandwiched it in with the plastic cover. Basically limiting the vibration of the pin and keeping it supported and stuck together. Before applying the solder and rtv I degreased it with rubbing alcohol.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Welp add me to the P1757 Transmission Front Brake Solenoid Circuit malfunction list. Xterra went into limp mode this morning. It's a hard fault. Returns within a 1/2 mile everytime its cleared. Dealer wants $1700 to replace the TCM/Valve Body/solenoids all as one unit. Contemplating the solder fix but worry it will go again bouncing around on a trail in the middle of nowhere.... Tonight I'll research and make the decission of how to proceed.

Sigh.... The joys of an 05 first run 2nd gen = every single common problem.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Welp add me to the P1757 Transmission Front Brake Solenoid Circuit malfunction list. Xterra went into limp mode this morning. It's a hard fault. Returns within a 1/2 mile everytime its cleared. Dealer wants $1700 to replace the TCM/Valve Body/solenoids all as one unit. Contemplating the solder fix but worry it will go again bouncing around on a trail in the middle of nowhere.... Tonight I'll research and make the decission of how to proceed.

well what ended up happening?

I just got the p1757 this morning.

barely limped it home, not quite sure what to do yet.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
based on my intial research I think this would be the part that could be replaced:

Or, I can attempt to solder the broken copper wire? which, Idk if i want to try and do. Im pretty good at replacing parts, but essentially repairing a computer seems like a stretch.

How the F does this thing break? is there something pushing on it to indicate the brake is applied and that causes it to wear down over time?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Well, I think im going to limp it a few miles to Tyan's Nissan in aurora co tomorrow. We'll see what they say. depending on that I may just have them fix it, or try to order the part and fix it myself.

idk we'll see what they say. I'm kinda at a point of like, do i dump $1-2k into this thing, and still potentially need timing chains done.. or just cut my loses and trade it in for something else?.. or.. buy a donor titan and swap the whole front end? my truck as very little frame/ body rust.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Called Nissan, they are booked out for a week, until next wed.. so Im not in a rush to get it over there.

anyone else dealt with this recently? I told the service writer the code, P1757 and the symptoms, asked him if he was familiar with it at all and he said he wasn't, he thought maybe it was some sort of wiring harness issue.. which I guess could be possible, maybe ill get out there and poke around abit.

Just perfect timing, I have been considering new tires ($1100), and preemptive timing chain(tensioners) ( $1000?)replacement here recently, totally not excepting any issues with my transmission! to my knowledge my truck never had SMOD. i had it bypassed until i replaced the radiator, so not sure what would have caused this to happen.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Bueller?

X has just been sitting in my garage for the past few days, Im trying not to think too much aobut it lol, which is hard!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
ok so after some research Im considering replacing the whole tcm/ valve body. this company sells them pre programmed per your vin, $500. not too bad really. that puls a PMF... $600?

Not even sure at this point if i should have Nissan look at it. pretty sure they are going to find the same code i did, and I doubt they are going to try to soldier it back together, so they would probably want to replace the whole valvebody/ tcm or even the whole trans itself..

thoughts?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
alright i dropped it off this afternoon. good news is the tech guy listened to my engine running and said it sounds good. no timing chain issues, the valve tap i can hear apparently is very minor.

so, i guess well see what they say about the trans by end of tomorrow. fingers crossed its under $1k. thats kinda my point of like, of is it worth this or should i consider A doing it myself and or B just getting rid of the X... though in not sure how much ill get for it with a broken trans..

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Annnd the bad news.

they want $5,204 to replace the trans. they confirmed P1757, front brake soleniod, trans gets stuck in 4th gear, wont down shift.

soo obviously not paying that much lol!

what options would you consider?

just turned over 170k a few weeks ago. runs strong accept this stupid issue.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts

Which dealer? mine wants to replace the entire trans for like $5k..

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I called this place and they seem legit, she confirmed that have the valve body/ tcm in stock for my vin, comes pre pregrammed, $490...

sounding kinda good compared to $5k!

the nissan guy said they dont recommend replacing the valve body on a vehilce with this many miles, 170k.. any truth to that or is he trying to convince me to buy a "new" (reman) trans.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
See new thread:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts