Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Transmission Response

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Cyclemut 
#1 ·
Problem: When im really hauling ass in my X I find it more responsive to manually shift my auto trans. When shifting up into high gears its usually pretty quick to slam off a gear but still not as quick as ide like. On downshifts reponsivness is completely non exsistant. I know there is a safety in the ECM to prevent over revving. Question: Is there any tricks or ways to make my shifts alittle quicker?

#4 ·
Wow ... bit of a harsh response, there, eh? Had you done a bit of searching, you'd see that there aren't really any Xterras on this forum who have felt the need to seek out automatic transmission mods for improved performance. So you'd probably be breaking new ground a bit.

Sounds like you're after some more 'race-like' performance, have you perused Club Frontier or the Titan boards for similar information? They have the same transmission ... there's a company out in New Jersey (IIRC) that offers performance transmission upgrades for our AT: http://www.levelten.com/nissan_performance_parts_and_transmissions_s/46.htm, and TransGo also has an upgraded valvebody kit that some of the Titan guys have looked at and seem to get improved performance out of.

Good luck, and keep us posted! But maybe check the attitude at the door next time ... :eek:ccasion5:

#6 ·
Well it is an SUV with a decent towing capacity, built to take off road, and drive the unpaved.

It was made to drive fast turn left drive fast turn left drive fast turn left drive fast turn left....well you get the point...

#7 ·
You could install a shift kit, Transgo makes one.

Click the pic:

It will make the shifts a bit more solid (quicker, won't slip as much when going into the next gear) and it will save some wear on the clutch packs too.

I'm putting one in my 1st Gen, the larger tires and lack of gearing tends to make my trans run a little warmer. Since I just rebuilt it, I'm wanting to help it out as much as I can.

The valve body for the trans will need to be taken apart to do this, so I'd have a trans shop do it. If you give them the part number they can usually order it for you. I'd recommend letting them do the ordering so they get the right stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.