Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Veteran
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put in a new Griffin Radiator last year at 78K and just ran in to some issues today... will be finding out the news tomorrow. I am at 87,600 miles or so... don't drive it much since I use company car a good portion of the week. Was going up on-ramp today and heard something basically explode (grenade) prior to that I heard a loud clunk. When I was getting on the on-ramp, I wasn't getting on it either.... Just a normal acceleration would describe it.

When putting it in Park, it makes a horrible grinding noise and PARK will not hold, it needs the E-brake. Lowering it off the truck elicited some nasty noises. I had the rear diff replaced under warranty three years ago. Radiator replaced a year ago. Not sure if it would be a rear diff or front or somehow the SMOD or ring & pinion? I guess I will be finding out tomorrow as it is at the shop now! Ugggh..

Thanks for the input!!

·
on line
1,358 Posts
Jeez i just hope it's not smod!! I'm sure everything will be okay... Wishful thinking bud :)

·
on line
16,147 Posts
I would guess a rear diff, as even with the transmission engaged a broken set of rear diff gears could potentially allow the truck to free roll. The transmissions in threse trucks are beefy and even with the smod, rarely experience a breaking of the gears in such a fast catastrophic fashion. It is definitley not the front diff. You would not have any force or stress on the front diff gears (unless you were in 4 wheel drive on asphalt...like a pecker...) so its not that. Additionally, if it were the front diff you would be stopped dead in your tracks in 2wd if anything, not allowed to freeroll. That brings us to either the transmission or rear diff. An easy way to tell is to disconnect your rear DS from the flange on the rear diff and carefully see if you can turn one tire while the truck is on stands (in the back). The tire on the other side of the axle should turn the other way providing you dont have a locker that is engaged. If you hear grinding...well then that is your culprit. I would bet on the rear diff. Perhaps there wasn't enough fluid in there for too long after they replaced it. Anyway, good luck and sorry about your truck. Hopefully it all works out mang.

-Rook

·
Veteran
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I did find out this morning what exactly happened....

The rear drive-shaft front u-joint broke. It damaged the yoke and in-turn the u-joint is wasted as well the drive-shaft. Will have to get new U-joint and drive-shaft. A forum member here in the area who shall remain nameless ;-), who is a Nissan Mx at the local dealership is fixing it when the parts come in on Wednesday. It beat up the metal "tunnel" area pretty good but nothing sever as it sounded.

My first thoughts were driveshaft but was thinking the SMOD as well. I mean it sounded horrible... I stopped pretty quick as I wasn't going very fast to begin with. I guess this is good news compared to the alternative! I had the front drive-shaft u-joints replaced last year with the Spicer ones so those are still good to go.

Thanks you for the input!

·
Veteran
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the good karma guys lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts