Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Xterra (2011 A/T P4X, 95k miles) threw a p1774 code on me twice yesterday. Checking with my Bullydog, that was the only code. I turned off the engine and cleared the code the first time, didn't come back on until several short trips later. Both times, the SES light turned on while I was accelerating a minute or so after starting the engine while cold.

From what I've gathered on the internet (including this site), the code is for: "Low Coast Brake Solenoid Valve Function. Possible causes: Faulty Low Coast Brake Solenoid Valve Low Coast Brake Solenoid Valve harness is open or shorted Low Coast Brake Solenoid Valve circuit poor electrical connection". There is also a TSB out there for it.

Might have something to do with the cold weather (it's been 20-40 degrees in Utah the past week or so; truck had been in Texas for most of its life), perhaps the transmission fluid viscosity is too low. Or some random electrical issue. I went through a car wash a couple days ago including an underbody rinse. Otherwise, there is minimal rust on the truck.

I'm going to check the transmission fluid, wiring, etc. later today. Any other advise? Anybody else seen this? Seems pretty rare (only found a handful of threads/posts here, and they usually included additional codes). I read somewhere that SMOD can be the culprit, so for sure I will check for that (coolant level looked normal when I checked yesterday). I'm doubtful it is SMOD, given the year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi GeolJon,

I have a similar Xterra [2011 A/T P4X, 140k miles], bought recently as I am looking to get into Off Roading. I ran into your post while researching, as I have the same problem [code P1774]. Were you able to diagnose or resolve it?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi GeolJon,

I have a similar Xterra [2011 A/T P4X, 140k miles], bought recently as I am looking to get into Off Roading. I ran into your post while researching, as I have the same problem [code P1774]. Were you able to diagnose or resolve it?
I ended up having to reset the code 2 or 3 times, but I haven’t had it since. I checked the AT fluid and it looked just fine and full. I’m guessing that it may have been due to cold weather. Sorry. Good luck! Let me know if you figure out anything more.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
If it doesnt go away after clearing code a few times, there is a known/documented problem on these where a bin on the TCM connector breaks. To fix it involves pilling the pan, removing the valve body to then remove the TCM and solder the broken pin at the connector. There are some how-tos on here, clubfrontier and youtube. This just happend a couple weeks ago to a local buddy @BakerX05 and he successfully fixed it with the solder repair. his was visibly broken and open continuity.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Surf, good to know in case it crops up again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, so one year later or so the code returns for good plus limp mode. Had AAMCO check it over. Told them code and limp mode kicked in after speed bump/bumpy road. They said they checked and reseated all the wires going to the tranny, they also thought maybe the tranny fluid was low and when going through the bumps it tripped something. They topped it off and gave it back to me saying to let them know if anything. A day later the code was back and they wanted 2k to replace valve body, or 4K to reman the tranny.

Long story short, I pulled the unit out, checked the pins thinking I was going to solder something but they looked good. Checked everything for continuity, also good. My Valve Body/TCM does look different than the How To vids out there (Hitachi HOB ETC91-900N).

I was thinking to just replace the Low Coast Clutch solenoid and see how it goes but my local Nissan says there’s no part number for this since they only support replacing the entire valve body, and while searching online I haven’t been able to find a 100% match (G7T23082 1427).

Sorry for the long winded post but any ideas before I go crawling back to AAMCO? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have never had my Trans apart, but I now the RE5RO5A was an very common trans not just for Nissan but also for other manufacturers - Kia and even Subaru IIRC. Anyway I would try calling one of the big transmission parts places and see if they can cross the solenoid.

Or just replace the entire valve body with a rebuilt valve body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have never had my Trans apart, but I now the RE5RO5A was an very common trans not just for Nissan but also for other manufacturers - Kia and even Subaru IIRC. Anyway I would try calling one of the big transmission parts places and see if they can cross the solenoid.

Or just replace the entire valve body with a rebuilt valve body.
Thanks idn88. I’ll definitely try calling additional tranny places. The problem I ran into with replacing it myself was that I would need to reprogram. AAMCO apparently has an external tech come in to do that and they weren’t letting that info go lol.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Thanks idn88. I’ll definitely try calling additional tranny places. The problem I ran into with replacing it myself was that I would need to reprogram. AAMCO apparently has an external tech come in to do that and they weren’t letting that info go lol.

Much appreciated!

OK, so realizing this is simply what I read here - I thought you could replace the valve body if you kept your original TCM? There are some threads here - About people swapping trans with newer models, and having to replace the TCM in doing so. I also thought that it only needing reprogramming if you bought a new unit. Old units were already programmed. 05-12 and 13-15 were different, but so long as you stayed in your proper year range you were good to go.

Some info here: https://www.thenewx.org/threads/transmission-swap-help.271314/

I noticed on ebay that you could buy both the valve body as well as individual solenoid kits. Several of those are available from transmission parts places - not retail places like AAMco. You might want to try reaching out to them directly rather than through fleabay - to make sure you get the correct part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, so realizing this is simply what I read here - I thought you could replace the valve body if you kept your original TCM? There are some threads here - About people swapping trans with newer models, and having to replace the TCM in doing so. I also thought that it only needing reprogramming if you bought a new unit. Old units were already programmed. 05-12 and 13-15 were different, but so long as you stayed in your proper year range you were good to go.

Some info here: Transmission Swap - Help !

I noticed on ebay that you could buy both the valve body as well as individual solenoid kits. Several of those are available from transmission parts places - not retail places like AAMco. You might want to try reaching out to them directly rather than through fleabay - to make sure you get the correct part.
So I wanted to get some miles on the X before reporting back. And that took a while since it’s not my daily. But I just completed a 2k mile road trip for thanks giving and so replacing the solenoid valve did the trick. I mostly stumbled my way through the swap but not it’s done and I learned a thing or two.

Idn88, can thank you enough!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I wanted to get some miles on the X before reporting back. And that took a while since it’s not my daily. But I just completed a 2k mile road trip for thanks giving and so replacing the solenoid valve did the trick. I mostly stumbled my way through the swap but not it’s done and I learned a thing or two.

Idn88, can thank you enough!

Could you share where you got the part from? I'm having the same issue & this thread has been super helpful.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts