Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My 2006 Xterra S has just over 95k miles on it and the transmission fluid has never been changed. I called the dealer to check price and was told that because it hasn't been changed before, it might actually be better to not change it at all because once it passes a certain point new fluid can gum up and cause more problems. He also said the maintenance schedule called for a full flush every 30k miles, but what I have looked at calls for one at 60 and one at 90.

Checking the fluid it is definitely due but it doesn't smell burnt to me.

Thoughts? I know about the SMOD issue and just did the bypass this week. I bought 12 quarts of Matic-S planning to do the PMF myself but I figured I'd check with the dealer since my time is usually limited.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have never heard of it gumming up and I definitely would not just keep going on the same fluid. That sounds like some dumb advise to me. With the amount of miles on the original fluid I would probably pay to have it fully flushed (not at that same dealer).

A PMF will help a bit, but I'd say your fluid is too far gone at this point. If you PMF it, you probably aren't going to be able to get all 12 quarts out in one go. I did mine a few weekends ago and only got about 4.25 quarts by just pulling the drain plug and letting it drip for about 20mins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never heard of it gumming up and I definitely would not just keep going on the same fluid. That sounds like some dumb advise to me. With the amount of miles on the original fluid I would probably pay to have it fully flushed (not at that same dealer).

A PMF will help a bit, but I'd say your fluid is too far gone at this point. If you PMF it, you probably aren't going to be able to get all 12 quarts out in one go. I did mine a few weekends ago and only got about 4.25 quarts by just pulling the drain plug and letting it drip for about 20mins.
The guy I talked to said he was an "adviser" and that he'd check with one of the mechanics when I decided to schedule.

He quoted me $189 originally and then when I told him I already had the fluid he dropped the price to $109. I'm also wondering what fluid they usually use. Must be something compatible to Matic-S for that price.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
It's not unheard of for an automatic to fail after a full flush if it had never been done with higher mileage. The friction material can wear off the disks and mixes in with the fluid. When you change the fluid and get rid of all the worn material in the fluid they can start slipping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not unheard of for an automatic to fail after a full flush if it had never been done with higher mileage. The friction material can wear off the disks and mixes in with the fluid. When you change the fluid and get rid of all the worn material in the fluid they can start slipping.
So if it helps this is my daily driver. It's never towed or gone off-road. Very little stop and go driving.

Every time I've checked the fluid it's still had a reddish tint and I haven't noticed any floaters in it.

Would it be better to just do a partial drain and refill a few times (driving 1000 miles in between)?

·
on line
1,739 Posts
I don't think 95k is too far gone like snowtrout is referring to, probably more like 150-200k but it also depends on how you drive it. I would go ahead and change out the fluid doing the real PMF. If you're paranoid it probably wouldn't hurt to do a small drain and fill next year too

EDIT: You posted right while I was typing, but I would still suggest just going ahead and doing the full PMF and try and get as much out as you can. If you don't feel comfortable then take it somewhere and then every 2 years or 30k or so just do a drain and fill

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
Both my long time transmission guy and the lead mechanic at my local Nissan dealership recommend that when ATF has not been changed for an extended period to avoid any kind of flush, pressurized or otherwise, and instead do "drain and fills" at the next 3 oil changes.

Just warm up the transmission by driving 15-20 minutes, remove the bolt in the pan, measure the quantity of ATF that drains into the drain pan, reinstall the bolt, refill with that amount of new Matic-S and adjust as necessary.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I did a full flush at 75K. It hadn't yet been flushed (to my knowledge) and was nasty Although the X drove fine, i wouldn't have felt good about leaving that stuff in there. With new Nissan juice , it shifts like new. I'd do a full flush

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both my long time transmission guy and the lead mechanic at my local Nissan dealership recommend that when ATF has not been changed for an extended period to avoid any kind of flush, pressurized or otherwise, and instead do "drain and fills" at the next 3 oil changes.

Just warm up the transmission by driving 15-20 minutes, remove the bolt in the pan, measure the quantity of ATF that drains into the drain pan, reinstall the bolt, refill with that amount of new Matic-S and adjust as necessary.
I did a full flush at 75K. It hadn't yet been flushed (to my knowledge) and was nasty Although the X drove fine, i wouldn't have felt good about leaving that stuff in there. With new Nissan juice , it shifts like new. I'd do a full flush
I think I will go ahead and do the flush. So assuming worst case scenario and it does start slipping after the flush, what would be involved then?

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Hi all. My 2006 Xterra S has just over 95k miles on it and the transmission fluid has never been changed. I called the dealer to check price and was told that because it hasn't been changed before, it might actually be better to not change it at all because once it passes a certain point new fluid can gum up and cause more problems. He also said the maintenance schedule called for a full flush every 30k miles, but what I have looked at calls for one at 60 and one at 90.

Checking the fluid it is definitely due but it doesn't smell burnt to me.

Thoughts? I know about the SMOD issue and just did the bypass this week. I bought 12 quarts of Matic-S planning to do the PMF myself but I figured I'd check with the dealer since my time is usually limited.
My thoughts are

1.) Change the fluid
2.) Never go to that dealer again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts