Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought it two weeks ago, and decided to check all fluid levels.

Left car on, went through all the gears on the car, then checked the fluid level.

It was only on the bottom tip of the stick, not in the cross hatched area.

Should I add a little genuine nissan fluid to whats in there or do an entire flush then add?

·
Registered
630 Posts
At least add fluid. Should you flush or drain and replace? That depends. Do you know when/if it was ever drained before? What is the mileage? What color is the fluid, and does it have any burnt smell?

Transmission fluid doesn't go low unless it is leaking somewhere, so maybe you have a leak. It could be a big leak or really small and from any number of places, some more serious than others. Perhaps the drain plug isn't tight, or maybe a seal is going. My advice if the fluid looks and smells OK is to fill it up and then watch it, and see if it goes down again and at what rate. Once you decide if you do or don't need to address the leak then at least drain and replace if you don't know when it was done last. If the fluid seems old then replace and watch for a leak.

·
on line
2,362 Posts
One side of the stick is for warmed up, the other for cold fluid. Were you checking the correct side?
By warmed up it needs to be driven, not just around the block, several miles. 15 minutes might be enough, if you were in stop and go driving. Just running through the gears once isn't warming the transmission up.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Just bought it two weeks ago, and decided to check all fluid levels.

Left car on, went through all the gears on the car, then checked the fluid level.

It was only on the bottom tip of the stick, not in the cross hatched area.

Should I add a little genuine nissan fluid to whats in there or do an entire flush then add?

I would drain and fill, especially if you just bought it. Not everyone takes care of their care the same and it certainly wouldn't hurt to start with your new car with good fluid.

·
on line
7,144 Posts
Just add Nissan S and go. Check for leaks and if none rest in peace. I hope you got a warranty if it turns out you have a tranny leak.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
"Warm" or "hot" according to Nissan is 176 degrees. That was the stated temperature to be using the hot side of the measurement on the dipstick. I have to try to get my transmission that hot so simply driving a few mins probably won't do it. I forget what the "Cold" temp was recommended as, but I remember it was somewhere in the mid 120-130 degrees. That you could probably just drive for 15-20 mins and then use the cold side of the dipstick...although it recommended measuring at 176.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to ask.. you checked with the truck running, right?
Yep.

I called the nissan dealer where I bought it from to ask about service records. He said the previous owner got pretty much every single recommended service done at their dealership. Timing chain, new radiator, etc etc. Hes going to email me all the records and ill check when a tranny flush was last done. I have 2 weeks left on the warranty in case of a leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts