Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone !
I am planing to do some work on my Xterra 07 soon
changing oil ring o gasket and doing transition cooling bypass so I was thinking it would be a good time to add a different transmission cooler to to be interfering with radiator cooling
but I was wondering what kind of kit should I get ? are they some that are good some bad ? any suggestions ?
Thank you

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
The stock transmission cooler package works really well. Instead of investing in a different cooler and doing a bypass, just invest in a good radiator and be done. Keep the factory cooling engineering.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The stock transmission cooler package works really well. Instead of investing in a different cooler and doing a bypass, just invest in a good radiator and be done. Keep the factory cooling engineering.
Is that the separate, small radiator just behind the grill? I haven’t had time to dig in but I was wondering if that was a SMOD prevention job already done. Mine is a 2010 OR. It looks factory...so I wouldn’t have to worry about doing a replacement or bypass, right?

Please forgive my ignorance...

Edit: never mind, found this thanks to @IM1RU
All the automatics have the "extra" radiator in front of the main radiator. It's the trans cooler. It wasn't the fix for SMOD, a new radiator was.
But then that makes me wonder...do I need to replace my radiator? I have the 21460-ZL11A part.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im a little confused by your post..
what I want to do is to do a bypass.. has to be done.. not to go thro cooling radiator but go directly into smaller radiator for the oil plus add another one to the factory one .. that is already there
something like this or better...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Read the post. Air to liquid coolers are no where near as efficient as liquid to liquid. Many people have overheated their trans after a bypass. If you are going to go with another Aux cooler you will need a fan and thermostat for it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Sturmvoik.

There are directions within the powertrain forum which share how to perform a bypass of the cooling function built into the radiator while still maintaining function of our separate transmission cooler.

AdditionalIy, there is info listed in this topic if you wish to perform the by-pass modification and add an extra transmission cooler.

Keep in mind, as has been said,
Air to liquid coolers are no where near as efficient as liquid to liquid.
In addition, a manufacturers choice to run transmission lines through the radiator with an external cooler serves two purposes.

Basically, this design allows your transmission fluid to reach operating temperatures quickly in cold conditions while maintaining proper temperatures during daily driving.

To be honest, a transmission cooler is not a terribly high tech piece of equipment.
If you wish to add a second cooler to your system, I would choose something such as this item

Or this item from Derale

However, for apx $150 more you could have a new radiator which is probably growing close to needing replaced anyway.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
The in radiator oil to water cooler is about the best cooler you can get as far as cooling goes. Removing it (bypassing) and putting another oil to air cooler (you already have a very good stock one) isn't going to cool as effectively.

Going back 50+ years the in radiator transmission cooler is the standard. A seperate oil to air cooler was sometimes the helper. But oil to air has never been the only cooler on any factory automatic transmission I have ever seen. Even doubling them up it still isn't the same cooling as the in radiator cooler.

·
Super Moderator
4,195 Posts
To OP:

The general consensus is that a properly functioning radiator with internal ATF cooling tube and the factory external transmission cooler already on every Xterra is sufficient for all purposes including slow speed rockcrawling and on-highway trailer towing. An additional transmission cooler in addition to the factory cooler is a needless expense with little benefit, if any, even if you have bypassed the ATF cooling tube in your radiator.

You would be better served by replacing your existing radiator with a quality aftermarket unit with internal ATF cooling tube than by adding another external cooler. I am partial to the Koyo P/N A2807 radiator, but there are others.

Initially, to augment my factory radiator with bypassed ATF cooling tube and factory external transmission cooler I sandwiched a Derale P/N 16618 500 cfm auxiliary fan between the transmission cooler and radiator, operated by a thermostatic switch that turned it on at 185 degrees and off at 165 degrees. I left it in when I replaced my Calsonic radiator with the Koyo radiator. It was cheap, easy and all the band-aid I needed until the Koyo radiator swap. You might consider this as a less complex and less expensive option to a second transmission cooler.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm oh wow.. looking at a new radiator completely the price differences is not a lot so It is might be better just to replace the radiator itself completely as the car has a bit over 140k miles on it already .

·
Super Moderator
4,195 Posts
Your existing radiator has been in service approximately 144 months and has 140,000 miles on it. It is nearing the end of its useful life. There is Nissan literature, that I can no longer find, which recommends changing the factory Calsonic radiator at 120,000 miles.

You won't be wasting your time or your money by replacing the Calsonic radiator currently in your Xterra.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Koyo for the win.

Your radiator falls within the year's which smod is a possibility.
If your radiator has never been swapped, I would do something to prevent smod quickly. Your on borrowed time.

·
Super Moderator
4,195 Posts
If you purchase a Koyo, be sure that you get it from an authorized Koyo dealer. There are counterfeits out there - beware Ebay.

I purchased mine from FR Sport in Huntington Beach CA, which is an authorized Koyo dealer. The price I paid was less than what is listed on their website today, but I think I purchased mine during an Independence Day sale. You might inquire if they have any coupon codes or pending promotions.

https://frsport.com/search?q=koyo+a2807

Radiator.com is also an authorized online seller of Koyo radiators. For authorized seller information you can call Koyorad at (888) 557.5696 (KOYO).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you purchase a Koyo, be sure that you get it from an authorized Koyo dealer. There are counterfeits out there - beware Ebay.

I purchased mine from FR Sport in Huntington Beach CA, which is an authorized Koyo dealer. The price I paid was less than what is listed on their website today, but I think I purchased mine during an Independence Day sale. You might inquire if they have any coupon codes or pending promotions.

https://frsport.com/search?q=koyo+a2807

Radiator.com is also an authorized online seller of Koyo radiators. For authorized seller information you can call Koyorad at (888) 557.5696 (KOYO).
Thank you so much for the link!
at that moment I was looking at this link

by the way... I wish it was all in black.. not silver.. lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts