Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what fluid will work in the transfer case. Bought castrol import trans fluid for nissans just dont want to put it in till I'm sure it wont screw nothing up, I changed my rear diff today I put valvoline 85-140 not synthetic but I went to 6 autoparts store looking for synthetic and not a one had the 75-140 in synthetic so for now I went with 85-140 conventional oil. by the way I have 28k on my x now the oil from rear diff was very clean very small amount of metal paste on magnet but it was low by 1.5 pints!!!!!!!!! I dont have a hex wrench to fit the front I will pick one up tomorrow(I got a synthetic blend for the front ) I just hate to see how low it is!!!!! :argue:

·
on line
2,938 Posts
I believe, but am not 100% sure that the T-case is Dexron 3.

Post the size of the Hex wrench.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Just check and
DEXRON III, MERCON or equivalent may also be used

·
on line
13,466 Posts
Amsoil transfer case = takes 2.1 quarts

I juat ordered all my transfercase and diff fluids from amsoil.

CAPACITIES
Engine, with filter..........5.4 quarts[1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........11.0 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
5 speed RE5R05A..........11.0 quarts
Manual Transmission, 2WD..........8.4 pints
Manual Transmission, 4WD..........8.7 pints
Differential, Front..........1.9 pints
Differential, C200 Rear..........3.4 pints
Differential, M226 Rear..........4.2 pints
Transfer Case,..........4.2 pints

1. After refill check oil level.

TORQUES
Oil Drain Plug.....25 ft-lbs
Transfer case
Fill Plug.....26 ft-lbs
Drain Plug.....26 ft-lbs
Manual Transmission
Fill Plug.....25 ft-lbs
Drain Plug.....25 ft-lbs

·
on line
1,479 Posts
I believe, but am not 100% sure that the T-case is Dexron 3.
Just checked my '08 OR manual because I wanna change out the transfer case fluid but all it says is Genuine Nissan Matic-D. It does not give any notes or recommendations for an equivalent. Any thoughts here? I don't think the transfer case is critical like the tranny but I wanna make sure.

Genuine NISSAN Matic D ATF (Continental U.S. and Alaska) or Canada NISSAN Automatic
Transmission Fluid or equivalent (if available)

·
on line
1,479 Posts
OK, I know this has been beat to death so I can understand why peeps are sick of talking about it. My research reveals Matic D May be equivalent to Dexron III. If this is the case it may be Mobil 1 ATF compatible. Anyone using Mobil 1 ATF in the transfer case? Am I gunna be the first guinea pig?

·
on line
279 Posts
Royal Purple Max ATF meets or exceeds specs for all Nissan ATFs and has full compatibility. Manufacturers will have fluid compatibility charts on their web sites, Mobil 1 should be no exception.

The hex wrench size is 10mm.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Royal Purple Max ATF meets or exceeds specs for all Nissan ATFs and has full compatibility. Manufacturers will have fluid compatibility charts on their web sites, Mobil 1 should be no exception.

The hex wrench size is 10mm.
Thanks! I just went by the dealer to enquire about the Matic D and they told me they were gunna stop carrying it because it was compatible with Dexron III. Take it for what it's worth being it was the dealership parts counter guy. I think I'm safe with something other than Matic D in the transfer case

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Thanks! I put Mobil 1 75W-140 Synthetic in the rear Axle. I used 80W-90 Valvoline Synthetic Dura Blend in the front diff and went ahead with the Matic D in the transfer case since I was already standing at the parts department of the dealership.

I did the rear diff a few weeks ago.

Note: My transfer case fluid looked like crap. It was brown already. Nothing but minor metal shavings on the magnet but the fluid was awful. I have only used my truck in 4WD a couple of times and those were forest service roads. I wouldn't leave that crap in too long!

·
on line
168 Posts
I used the Castrol ATF for Aisan Imports. It meets the Nissan Matic up to J specs. I have been using it in my automatic tranny for a while.

On my 05, synthetic is called for in the rear diff. I always use what is spec'd in the manual.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
I used the Castrol ATF for Aisan Imports. It meets the Nissan Matic up to J specs. I have been using it in my automatic tranny for a while.
You used the the Castrol multi vehicle ATF for imports? Tranny or transfer case? If you put it in the tranny how many miles have you run it?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts