Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, I just change my transfer case oil, but i'm wondering...normally, since it's ATF dextron fluid it should be a redish color...but the old oil is more charcoal/black. Is it normal? like...should old oil look like that?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's what I tought too... i was at 98xxx miles and never done it(dunno about the previous owner..)
like blackout said, i was wayyyyyy due!!!

thanks guys!

·
Registered
193 Posts
when your just driving in 2wd down the road theres no reduction in your transfer case, its 1:1 so the oil dosnt wear as much as it would if you used 4wd a lot. Either way id say change at 30k normal and 15k if you wheel a lot or use 4x4.

·
Registered
467 Posts
At my next 15K maintenance I am changing oil, front and rear differentals, brake fluid, inside air filter and intake filter. Also adding an oil catch can. Royal Purple (wally world) here I come! I got ~13 K now and we four wheel it about 10% of the time.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yea, I was going to do an oil change yesterday. So after i left the store i ended up changing front and rear dif, transfer case and oil. My T case was fairly black. Glad our drain plugs do their job. Healthy amount of build up on there. Front dif was surprisingly clean all things concidered. Wanna say i was 20k overdue on front and T case. Done rear a couple times

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Front diff always looks brand new when I change it out. I change oil in all my "gear boxes" annually. It might be overkill, but I abuse the heck out of my truck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts