Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been hearing a clicking noise and thought I had a bad u-joint. I have gone through many of them and know the drill. However when I removed the drive shaft the u-joints where still tight and smooth. Grabbing the front output flange of the T-case I can push it around and it clicks. With the DS removed it still clicks. Seems like I am having issues with the support bearing.

From all my reading, all the clicking has been caused by u-joints. I have almost never read of a situation where the t-case is bad.

So I am turning to my X brothers and sisters to ask for feedback. Anyone cook off a T-case?

My plan right now is to run in 2wd for a while (sans front d-shaft) to lessen the load on the bearing. Buy a used-new-to-me t-case and swap out. Looking for any input into the subject.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Did the sound definitely go away after the front DS was removed?
No. I removed the front DS and can grab the front output flange of the t-case rock it around and make it click. I have not driven it around much. But I have not heard the clicking while driving with the front DS remove. I suspect that without the DS there isn't as much load on the bearing to make it click without physically yanking is around.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Mine is out of my rig but may be needed for prototype work. I'm really only interested in the input shaft though so may be able to work a deal, cash + your smoked case depending on what area you're in. 54k ish miles.

Another option is pull it apart and take the bad bearing to a trans shop. They can get replacement bearings more often than not. I've done rebuilds on a few "unserviceable" transmissions and T cases.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Another option is pull it apart and take the bad bearing to a trans shop. They can get replacement bearings more often than not. I've done rebuilds on a few "unserviceable" transmissions and T cases.
I don't see why it wouldn't be serviceable. Nissan sells all the internals to rebuild one, even the chain.
The FSM shows how to disassemble and rebuild one. Pages TF133-134 talk about the bearing replacement on the front output shaft. there's 2 bearings on it. P/N 33139-8S010

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't be serviceable. Nissan sells all the internals to rebuild one, even the chain.
The FSM shows how to disassemble and rebuild one. Pages TF133-134 talk about the bearing replacement on the front output shaft. there's 2 bearings on it. P/N 33139-8S010
Nice. I just assumed. Seems like everything is throw away now. I'd go that route for sure.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is out of my rig but may be needed for prototype work. I'm really only interested in the input shaft though so may be able to work a deal, cash + your smoked case depending on what area you're in. 54k ish miles.

My plan is to buy a used unit, swap it out, then rebuild the old at my leisure (which is code for NEVER or when I mess up that t-case ). Would be great if there was a lower gear for the low range. I know the Hardbody T-cases had an aftermarket low gear.

Any possibility this is classic CV joint clicking?
Anything is possible. But I have my hand on the output flange, drive shaft out, pushing on the flange, and I can hear the clicking and feel it at the flange. SO I would say not likely that it is a CV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts