Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
on line
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I have searched, and the stuff I found did not seem to be the same as what I am experiencing.

Today, I went icefishing at a bunch of different lakes, and pulled in and out of multiple lake accesses, while in 2wd. When I noticed my tires slipping, I covered the brake pedal, as I listened to the ABLS clunk (normal). When I shifted into 4wd, I was not moving, and the tires were not spinning. As I slowly applied the gas, with the 4wd engaged (or so I thought) I hear a clicking along with the ABLS, but this is coming from the transfer case. Hit the brakes again, slowly applied the gas again, clicks, engages and I am out. It happened 3 times today, and it was not a violent sound or vibration anytime.

It will engage smoothly while going at normal speeds, but seems to be reacting strangely when stopped after getting stuck. This is not causing vibrations at any other time. I was never buried, just slippery enough that I needed 4wd.

Kinda sounds like my '01 Ranger did in the exact situations and never had a problem.

Any need for alarm? Thanks!

·
on line
99 Posts
I know that you said that you heard an additional sound to the ABLS, but I would still try and duplicate the situation and turn the VDC off and see if it changes at all or goes away. I spent a bit of time on the ice this weekend and grew tired of the abls kicking on and shut it off... after that it was pretty silent except under breaking.

·
on line
576 Posts
AFAIK you can't turn off the ABLS as it is the equivalent of the LSD for the truck. The VDC on the other hand can be turned off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts