Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to let everyone know of a problem I had with my transfer case and the solution that worked for me.

About 2 months ago at 37K I got new tires and noticed a clicking noise during low speeds (<15 MPH). It was very difficult to hear due to all of the engine noise. It sounded like a card stuck in a bicycle spoke.

To figure out where it was I jacked the rear up, spun the tires and listened for the noise - it was definitely towards the front, so I jacked the front up and spun the tires - it was the transfer case and very easy to hear if I only spun the properller shaft. It would click about 5th or 6th revolution of the propeller shaft.

The service manual recommended changing the fluid and after reading many posts of folks finding above normal sludge in their diffs, I decided to do all 3 at once.

I am happy to report that after changing the fluid the noise is completely gone. I would definitely recommend changing the front/rear diff and T/C fluids at 30K. I was shocked at how dirty the transfer case fluid was and the amount of sludge stuck to the drain plug. I originally thought the fluid would have lasted a lot longer.

·
on line
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So it turns out I was wrong, it was more than just changing the fluid. At 45K I started to hear the clicking noise again. It was very obvious with the windows down between 20 and 30mp. It originally happened when I was up in Maine and I took it to the dealer in Bangor on a Saturday. They were able to fit me and check it out. They thought it was the transfer case and said it was OK to drive home.

Monday I bring it in to Nissan in Hartford. They check it out and say it's the front propeller shaft. It's replaced under warranty the same day. Afterward the clicking is finally gone. The stealership said it had a lot of play in it.

Any ideas as to why it might have broken?

·
on line
735 Posts
The u-joints got contaminated with water and it rusted the needle bearing(s) out over time. Sometimes the replacement ones come with grease fitting so you can purge out the old grease and moisture twice a year or after anytime you had an aquatic adventure off road.

·
on line
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, I'll have to check that out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts