Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
on line
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Got a '06 SE 4X4 with 18,000 miles on it. I use my Xterra mainly for work and some long drives, never off road. My problem started 4 months ago when we had a heavy rainfall in our area for about 3 days(not sure if there's a connection) but I used the X mostly as most of the streets were flooded- and so the weather went fine and I left the X for 5 days in the garage. When I'm about to use it, the X wont start and the VDC sign,4X4,etc kept on flashing like crazy. My friends told me it was the battery and so I replaced it. The X went fine until I didnt use it again for 4-5 days and same thing happened- the battery was totally drained.

Anyway, the X was due for an oil change at that time but i have to buy a new battery again (coz i lost the receipt of the first one,duh)to make it run. So the dealership fixed (?) it. They told me that there was a loose connection somewhere. Didnt care to ask for more explanation as I was just happy that my X was okay.

After a month, that was last week, my X wont start again after not using it for a week. Had the dealership checked it for a day and they told me that the transfer case assembly needs to be replaced. They said the X shifts to 4X4 by itself(?) and wont shift back to 2WD and thus causing the battery to drain because a thing keeps on spinning somewhere?? I was expecting that there was a problem with the alternator but it wasnt mentioned at all. I tried to do some googling re transfer case assembly but cant find any relevant info. I hope somebody here can enlighten me re this issue and thank you in advance.

My X was at the dealership since Friday and i just got acall that they already got the parts, they'll gonna install it tomorrow and I was told the X might be ready on friday afternoon. I'll post some updates once I had the X back. This is a great site by the way!

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have not heard of anything like that. I would doubt that it had anything to do with the water (unless it was REALLY deep). I have been though 18"+ water crossings without a problem.

I say as long as the dealer is taking care of it (covering it under warranty) that there probably isn't anything you need to worry about.

·
on line
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir, it's gonna be covered under warranty and Im glad I purchased the extended warranty- now I realized its importance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts