Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Searched this subject and there were no results :scratch:

Anyway, does anybody know what at temp the warning light comes on ?

I just completed the bypass, added a secondary cooler and did the PMF. We'll be towing our camper on Wednesday.
I do not have a supplementary means of monitoring the trans temp, nor do I plan to install one in the next 2 days. I just want to be aware of:

1) That there is a warning light to indicate trans "Over Temp"
2)What temp the light comes on.

I've never had the light come on and I also don't rely on the idiot lights.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wonder what would have happened to gpzguy if he just left the radiator bypass be. Sounds like to me that's where he made his mistake. Too much engineering I reckon. Had to completely replace transmission anyway. Not sure any of that makes sense to me. If you did the bypass and put another cooler on just leave it alone. I've been running almost 2 years like that and no problems. I have temp guage installed and have never been over 190 even in stop and go on hottest days here in miami.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Also if you are concerned git you a laser temp gun. Pull off on the big pulls and take some readings to see how she's running. Don't change back ! That's what I take from that link posted above. Who knows if he didn't cross the hoses or something. He didn't make it very far it sounds like. Something went haywire and fast. Don't mess with it. Laser temp gun is 30 bones. Git it and check temps. In a safe place to see how your performing

·
Registered
41 Posts
I installed temp sensor into test port on my 2010. Had to modify npt fitting but an adapter might also work. Works famously. 2 years in place and providing great readings. Hit me up if you want some feedback on how to.

·
on line
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm:confused::confused:

Well....thats interesting. I've been driving the X for the past 3 days and haven't noticed anything weird. I haven't towed anything yet though.

I have right at 100K miles, so I think any warranty is out the window at this point.

·
on line
2,651 Posts
Your dash lights will blink when you hit the 275 mark, tac and speedo drop to zero and bounce back. What you'll notice more is the immediate loss of power, then you look at your dash doing funky things. Not fun hitting that mark, did that with bypass, no additional cool, pulling a small Uhaul in 95-100deg temps.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
This would happen to me every time I was loaded, heading through coal creek canyon. I was and still am bypassed with extra cooler. I towed a 5x8 trailer fully loaded from Syracuse, NY to CO without a single issue (was not in summer).

Added a secondary fan and it would not go above 210 degrees after monitored with my bullydog:) I highly suggest adding one!!

·
on line
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know, but you might want to read this if you haven't already.

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36982

Good luck with the trip.
After reading that thread, I'm curious as to what might have caused that issue.

If it was a matter of improperly connecting the secondary cooler, how could it be possible to hook it up wrong.? Now I'm getting paranoid:tard:

Basically, there are 2 hard lines that come out of the transmission, just above the oil filter. We'll call them line 1 and line 2. (since I don't have a picture in front of me)

1)One is "cooled" ATF going into the trans.

2)is "hot" ATF leaving the trans and going into the cooler.

The line that was removed that connected the lower portion of the radiator to the transmission, is the "out", correct? So, that would be line 2.

Line 2 then should be connected to the inlet of trans cooler 1. The oulet of trans cooler 1 is connected to the inlet of trans cooler 2. The outlet of trans cooler 2 is then connected to line 1 above.

Not sure what to do at this point. Undo the bypass for this trip and get a secondary fan later or leave it as is and see what happens.

Nothing better than overthinking.......:idea1:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Do not undo the bypass unless you get a new radiator. I always tell people to fix the root cause of the issue - the radiator. In your case you have bypassed and 2nd cooler so you should be good. However, it is difficult to get air to/through the cooler at slow speeds - like N.Y.X. said about climbing coal creek. The same happened to me climbing up into the mountains at slow speed - no air pushing through the cooler to perform the cooling action. If you undo the bypass you risk cross contamination and almost certain death of your tranny if it happens. A secondary fan is really easy to install. The trick is to find one that will fit between the grill and cooler (or cooler/ radiator) w/o trimming the back of the grill.

·
on line
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll be looking into the fan for the future.

Any chance somebody could "double check" my line connection explaination above? Just for s**t's and giggles?

·
on line
2,651 Posts
I'll be looking into the fan for the future.

Any chance somebody could "double check" my line connection explaination above? Just for s**t's and giggles?
You should have 2 loops, one on the trans and one on the rad. I kept reading your description and was getting confused. Do you have fluid pissing out somewhere, if not then you have done something correctly (either you have swapped the hoses effectively not doing the bypass or your have correctly done the bypass). If you have fluid pissing out somewhere then you have a hose that isn't connected.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Brock the line going into the driver side radiator is hot. Coming out the right side passenger side it goes up to the external cooler. When yo bypass you remove the driver side and run that directly to external cooler inlet. Is that what you did?

·
on line
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
You should have 2 loops, one on the trans and one on the rad. I kept reading your description and was getting confused. Do you have fluid pissing out somewhere, if not then you have done something correctly (either you have swapped the hoses effectively not doing the bypass or your have correctly done the bypass). If you have fluid pissing out somewhere then you have a hose that isn't connected.
Yeah...I read my description again and got confused too. Essentially, the only hose coming out of the trans that should be messed with is the driver side one. The one that was previously connected to the bottom of the rad.

No, no fluid leaking...that would be a dead giveaway. I was convinced there for a few minutes that I would be the one guy, out of eVERYBODY out there, that would figure out a way to incorrectly do the bypass and effectively make my xterra explode.

The drivers side hose is the one I have routed to the cooler. The "passenge side " hose isn't even involved in the whole thing.

Anyway, I'm going to leave it as is for now and see how she does.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
81 Posts
For folks with 2wd, the hole in the center dash that is there for a 4wd switch is exactly the right size for a temp gauge. The plastic plug is easy to remove, and the bracket that supports it will need trimming. You know what the trans is doing at a glance.

·
on line
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the trip went fine ( knocks on wood). Left the bypass and additional cooler set up as is.

Ambient temps in the 90's and very humid. Mostly flat to rolling hills. 6 hr drive towing a 19 ft camper trailer. Average 60 mph and actually averaged the best mpg to date while towing.

Final 30 miles were driving directly into a 25+ mph headwind. No problems. Shifting was fine, no warning light. All is well.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The X did well for the entire trip. Towing a 19' 3Klb trailer for ~600 miles with no problems.

One item of note waas that we passed 100K miles on this trip.

The bypass is a good thing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts