Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the dumb question but I’m gonna be replacing my front cv axles due to they have a quite a bit of wobble at the joints on one side so replace both right away before winter. Now I’ve seen some videos on how to do it, but my question the fluid that I’ve seen spill out when the axle is removed is it trans or differential fluid. I’ve heard some guys call it grease but it looks more like a fluid that spill out some. Again sorry for the dumb question I just can’t seem to find the answer to my question in the threads I’ve read or when I google it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you tilt the vehicle up more on the side the axle is being pulled from you won’t spill much diff fluid, if any at all. I put one more tooth higher on one pair of the jack stands than the other. Worked perfect.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you tilt the vehicle up more on the side the axle is being pulled from you won’t spill much diff fluid, if any at all. I put one more tooth higher on one pair of the jack stands than the other. Worked perfect.
Dude thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Highly recommend replacing the axle seals while youre in there, also doesn't hurt to drain and refill the front diff. I did this last weekend (CVs, wheel hubs, seals, diff fluid etc), my diff fluid looked and smelled like death. The seals are a bit of a PIA to install, just go easy and make sure they go in evenly... Passenger side seal was more difficult than the driver side.

You will be kicking yourself in the ass if you notice a leak a few days after the work is done, might as well replace the seals to eliminate that from the list of possible leak sources while everything is already out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok! How do you guys get the seals out? I’m assuming you’d wanna measure the distance they are sitting in prior to removing so your go same amount with new ones. Would using. A socket about Sam size as seal work for tapping them in that way they go in evenly? Just thinking of ways we added seals to sod cutter assemblies at my old job

1 - 9 of 9 Posts