Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in changing my auto trans fluid, however I'm not interested in doing a trans flush. I figure I'll drain out the few quarts in the pan, fill, and drive a bit and then repeat. By the end of the week I'll have "mostly" new trans fluid. My specific question is when I drain the pan, would it be beneficial to then put the plug back in, start the truck, run it through all the gears and shut off. Would there be more fluid in the pan to drain, and would that procedure harm the trans?

·
on line
2,233 Posts
The transmission pan only holds ~20% of the fluid in the transmission.
Won't harm the transmission (providing you set the fluid level correctly before driving), but goes through a lot more fluid with less exchanged. Much better to do a full fluid swap all at once.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
just do a poor mans no machine flush.... takes a little time with a helper but at least you will have fresh atf fluid

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I think he was talking about draining the trans then running it before refilling. You might kill the trans pump.

Nissan is not the only one that does not reccommend a trans flush. I think it is because there are many different types of flushes. Some use high pressure, some don't, some reverse flow, some don't. Some use heated fluid, others don't.

When I did my flush I used a BG machine that simply exchanges fluid using the trans own internal pump so it runs at the pressure that it normally does in the same direction. Simply as it pumped out old fluid, new fluid replaced it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Describe poor man's flush. ANd what I meant in my original post is this: Drain fluid, plug back in, get in truck, start it, put it in R,D,3,2,1,P, Shut off, re-drain. Will that harm the trans? or even work?

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Yeah not a good idea to be draining fluid, running it without refilling. Might not hurt anything but do you want to risk a $5000 transmission for the sake of maintenance? If you don't want mess with a flush, just keep doing drain and refills at each oil change for about 4-5 oil changes.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Describe poor man's flush. ANd what I meant in my original post is this: Drain fluid, plug back in, get in truck, start it, put it in R,D,3,2,1,P, Shut off, re-drain. Will that harm the trans? or even work?
The front pump will be trying to suck fluid from a dry tranny pan. Bad idea. As said, it is foolish to risk damaging it in the name of laziness or ignorance of how to perform a PMF. As said, a PMF is a PASSIVE way to flush and will not damage or hurt the tranny. The manual, and many other vehicles manuals, say not to flush because they are seeking to avoid the use of ACTIVE flush machines that create their own pressure rather than using the existing front pump pressure, again as mentioned already.

Preform a PMF, else a simple drain and fill. No dry pump running.

Clicky link to HOW

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30213-TO PMF:

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I wouldn't flush.

I did the drain and fill like what you are talking about three times and after the third drain the fluid was looking new.
But of course, what would I know. It's not like I've spent most my life working as an ASE certified Master Auto Tech, all the while performing passive ATF flushes on pretty much every make and model without ever a problem, or replaced plenty of transmissions because they ran dry. Always plenty of arm-chair mechanics who know better...

SMH

You do realize he's talking about draining multiple times WITHOUT filling between? It's fine to drain & fill, then run the gears, then drain & fill repetitively, but the op is talking about just drain, NOT filling, and running gears, then more draining.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, That's what I'm looking for. And yes I do lurk on here looking for this stuff. There's tons of stuff I DON'T ask b/c I find it on here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm at 200k on my S auto tranny. still running original fluid. I hear too many horror stories about things that go wrong w/ PMF and dealer flushes. stirring **** up then having them go out soon after. car still runs great!

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I'm at 200k on my S auto tranny. still running original fluid. I hear too many horror stories about things that go wrong w/ PMF and dealer flushes. stirring **** up then having them go out soon after. car still runs great!
Yeah, you're right, running the same ATF for 200k is so much smarter than ever changing it. Their are some real brilliant folks around here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Never said dont ever change it but once you get to a certain point its just too risky to do anything about it.

would you recommend for me to flush it at this point or leave it?

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
You lucked out, you shouldn't neglect the fluid and expect 200K.

Flushes and trans fluid swaps get a lot of undue bad publicity. While I agree higher mileage trans should not be flushed. There a lot of people that wait until the transmission is on it's way out the door before they decide to do a service. They flush, the trans fails and they blame the flush. Well the trans was already failing and was going out either way.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
But of course, what would I know. It's not like I've spent most my life working as an ASE certified Master Auto Tech, all the while performing passive ATF flushes on pretty much every make and model without ever a problem, or replaced plenty of transmissions because they ran dry. Always plenty of arm-chair mechanics who know better...

SMH

You do realize he's talking about draining multiple times WITHOUT filling between? It's fine to drain & fill, then run the gears, then drain & fill repetitively, but the op is talking about just drain, NOT filling, and running gears, then more draining.

Yea I'm a turbo prop aviation mechanic so I know a few things myself.

That said I didn't realize he was talking about running it dry I wouldn't do that. I still wouldn't do the flush.

·
on line
2,233 Posts
The thing I don't like is the flush machine often dumps in solvents and other witches brew of chemicals to "clean" the inside of the transmission. Often it will recycle this with it being filtered. So if the flush before you was to try and do a magic fix to a dying transmission you may now be trusting that the filter got all the garbage from the last transmission cleaned out of the flushing fluid, and the hoses and everything else. So now you are dumping garbage into an otherwise good transmission as a preventative measure. That's wrong.

The best instructions I have seen is to remove on of the cooler lines, put that into a bucket, start the engine and pour fresh oil into the dipstick at the same rate (best you can guess anyway) it is coming out. When the fluid has changed color to what you are putting in, you got as much exchanged in one shot as possible. Put the hose back on and set the fluid level in the transmission correctly.

I did it a different way, ordered mine with a stick shift.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My truck has 15K, It's broken in, I'm converting the whole truck to Amsoil. The PMF is what I'm looking for. Thanks. Debate over.

·
In Limbo
9,460 Posts
Never said dont ever change it but once you get to a certain point its just too risky to do anything about it.

would you recommend for me to flush it at this point or leave it?
Too risky!?! Every mile you drive on that depleted, 200K oil is risky. You should not drive another mile before having your transmission flushed and filled with NEW oil.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts