Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
on line
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched and i couldnt come across a thread about this issue, so hopefully i didnt miss it some where.

the x has 6500 miles on it. stock aside from intake and exhaust. for awhile its been making this weird clunk noise from what i assume is the rear diff, transfercase....trans. when im going about 35-40mph on flat and i let off the gas, coast for a bit, and then get back on the gas the truck clunks. and i can consistently make this happen. ive noticed that if i take it out of OD then it doesnt seem to happen???

whats goin on??
its an auto.

thanks

·
on line
139 Posts
I'm about to hit 11k and have the exact same sound you describe (and under the same circumstances). I'm no gears 'n cogs expert, but I suspect that it's something towards the rear end that's re-engaging when you get on the gas. I don't *think* it's harmful, but it would be good to get more info on what's going on.

My last AWD car did the same thing. I didn't have any problems with that one...

D-Rock

·
on line
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah it seems like the cluth pack re-engaging or something. on my way to work this morning im going to confirm that it only does it in over drive and then stop by the dealership if ive got time this afternoon.

·
on line
145 Posts
Xterras come standard with play in the driveline. Mine does it too and there is another thread where many others said it was normal. It probably sounds worse in OD because the TV is locked up.

·
on line
57 Posts
Mine does it as well and my suby used to do it all the time real bad. Im not too concerned about it. Its just re-engaging.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Yea, same problem. I took mine to the dealer for a quick road test today and they heard it. They put it up in the air for a quick check but nothing obvious. I'm gunna have to make an appointment to drop it off and leave it for a more in depth look. I'm fearing this is normal but worry down the road something is going to be damaged.

http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7587&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

·
on line
1,695 Posts
I've got about 22K on mine and it has done this since day one. It seems to be that the X is just going into OD too quick for the speed and is geared too high, creating the clunk upon deceleration. Goes away with OD off. Just driveline slop, IMO.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Well, I only got 2k on my truck and I can get it to happen (though with less severity) even in OD now. It's gotten worse since I first noticed it but I think it's maxed out now. Mine also started from day one off the lot.

When passengers in my truck ask me what that noise was, it's time to get it fixed As a former Automotive engineer, that kind of noise is unacceptable to pass on to your customers. Too many trucks having this issue. IMHO, it's gunna cause premature failure down the road of whatever is banging together.

I didn't go back and check but is this limited to just the OR models?

·
on line
21 Posts
i think it's called "axle wrap", mine does it and my 2 prior fords with leaf springs did it. it's torque related, spring compression and the sudden withdrawl of power.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
TXterra37 said:
Are you guys noticing this only when you hop back and forth outta OD? I started turning OD off more when I'm driving just around town.
No. It happens while it's in OD. Drive up to around 45 mph then cost down under to around 35 then step back on the accelerator. You should hear the clunk.

StealthX said:
i think it's called "axle wrap", mine does it and my 2 prior fords with leaf springs did it. it's torque related, spring compression and the sudden withdrawl of power.
This is the third truck I have owned. One Ford and two Xterras and I have never heard anything like it. I got the dealer to acknowledge it so we'll se how far I get with it.

When people riding in my truck are asking "what the hell was that?", it's too loud. The more people that take it to the dealer, that's when Nissan will know the issue exists and take note of it. They might even try to come up with a fix....lol...:)

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Yes, I only get it in OD. That is why I am not worried about it... take it out of OD and it goes away. The truck is just in too high a gear for the speed. OD is not warranted at speeds around 40 mph anyway.

EDIT: I certainly won't discourage anyone from going to the dealer about it, though; I'd be curious what they have to say about it.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
Yea, That's part of the problem for me anyway, is that the speed limit on most of the roads I drive on is 40 - 45. Also, OD is really not meant for the stop and go city driving most people do always starting and stopping at lights and such. So I'm gunna try driving around without OD and see how she runs and how it affects fuel economy.

Anyway, I'm gunna pursue it with the dealer til I get and answer from Nissan on what it is. Mine actually seems pretty bad so I want to know. Also, under the right conditions, I get it (very slightly) in OD. I'll definitely post up what I find out. I plan on keeping this X a while and want to know nothing is gunna snap on down the road. I want Nissan to acknowledge it at the very minimum and tell me nothing is wrong. And I want this from Nissan not the dealer.

Otherwise this X is awesome. I love the the sound of that 4L every time I start it. All the new features they have incorporated in the Next Gens and of course that rear locker.....:)

·
on line
22 Posts
I have about 2200 miles on my 08 OR and it makes the same clunk. It has done that since I drove it off the lot. I didn't think anything of it since my only other auto tranny vehicle that I've owned, a 1990 Ford Probe, did the same thing.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
TXterra37 said:
pronger865 said:
my only other auto tranny vehicle that I've owned, a 1990 Ford Probe, did the same thing.
Ooooh, try not to tell anyone else about that!
hahahaha.....LOL......that's awesome! :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts