Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2013 S purchased new from dealer in July '13. Currently has 9K on it.

The X left my wife in the middle of the rd on Monday. She was in 2wd going up a little hill in 1" of snow. Says it popped out of D into N. She stopped car and got it into 4H :)dontknow: thought she was spinning) and went about 40 yards before it wouldn't move. Tried to restart and it wouldn't crank. No P, R or any gear showed up on the electronic cluster or the 2W, 4HI, 4LO indicator. Everything else on cluster lit up just fine. Nissan Tech said bring it in. Had it towed to Nissan and was told by them that the valve body went bad and needed to be replaced.

This seems like a major repair for a new truck. Do they have to drain and fill the tranny to replace the valve body. Should they flush it since it only has 9k on it or should 3 drain and fills be done?

Is this a common issue? Am I going to suffer on trade in or sale of vehicle when that time comes. Longevity of the drivetrain is my concern. Should I contact Nissan NA and get this on file?

Warranty is covering everything but this is my first Nissan and I am not pleased.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Its definitely not at all common. I've never heard of that before. The transmission is a very reliable, stout unit. The only failures you see on them is on much older models, with a lot higher mileage, that got "SMOD" and failed to a radiator fault that led to cross contamination. You don't need to worry about that on 11+ models

I wouldn't be worried about a flush with only 9k miles on it. Sounds like you had really bad luck and a random part failure. It will have no effect on your resale value.

·
on line
2,233 Posts
Not common. That is why they have new car warranty.
You should be fine as is. Don't worry about it and just go drive it.
If there were anything else in the pan they would have put a whole transmission in there. Dealers hate warranty come back work, bad for there satisfaction scores. Those scores are part of the bonuses paid back to the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, thanks folks.

The service writer told me he spoke with the tech regarding contamination and a flush. Tech said there wasn't a need. Drain, pull the pan, replace part and fill is all that needs to be done.

pic from last Sept

1 - 7 of 7 Posts