Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, have an '06 SE (possibly) with auto tranny. I've been reading a lot on the SMOD stuff and decided I'd better check on it. I went out and here is what is on the tranny stick:

Forgive the terrible pics and my lack of automatic transmission knowledge, this is my first ever auto tranny. Color doesn't seem to be SMOD, but it also doesn't look clean, best described as a translucent golden brown. I've owned this since 64,418 miles and it is on 73,XXX currently ... looks like it needs changed ...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yup, time to flush. Pretty easy DIY job, lots of info on how to on this forum.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
With that color I would do a drain/fill/drive three times. Thats what it took on mine to go from the color you have to a nice clean red color like its supposed to be. Its a lot cheaper to do if you order the stuff online as well.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
With a full flush, no need to drain/drive/refill three times.

Also, depending on how comfortable you are with doing so, might not be a bad idea to go ahead and drop the pan, check the magnets, replace the filter. This is a much more involved process than the simple flush but still not overly difficult. Plenty of info on this forum on how to do everything.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
It is a red color, but mine is basically clear on the dip stick. I just do a quick drain refill every 15-20K miles or so. If I had brown fluid on the dip stick I would do a PMF.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll be doing the PMF, (although at $114 for 12 quarts of ATF it can hardly be considered 'poor mans'). I might try and sneak under the X this weekend and do the bypass to get that out of the way.

It's cold as hell here in the PNW right now so no worries about overheating the tranny until summertime rolls around and then I'll add a cooler.

I might take H.I.'s suggestion and drop the pan real quick to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not trying to be a bummer fr anything... but I recently checked the transmission dipstick, looked good... ended up having the SMOD problem anyways once they looked at the fluid down below. I'm looking at a 3000 co-pay (95K miles) or get rid of the vehicle for another. If you are under 80K you're in luck and they'll change it for free (hige job)... very important!! btw- needs to be diagnosed by a Nissan place, and they do the work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, wonder how much just a check would be?

Dealerships suck in this sense, (I don't trust dealerships anyways). If I take it in and say, I just want it checked and if it looks fine then I'll take it and replace the fluids, they could just as easily look and tell me it's fine and then have it really not be. I do the bypass and PMF and have it last just long enough to have the tranny **** out on me after the warranty expires, lol.

Ugh.

·
on line
2,044 Posts
do your poormans flush and save 1/4 quart of the old fluid to send to a lab test for contamination.....I think its less then 25.00

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I might take H.I.'s suggestion and drop the pan real quick to.
Just a heads-up, if you decide to drop the pan, have lots of paper towels within reach. Even after you fully drain the tranny, there will still be a lot of fluid in the pan, and it's not easy to direct where it goes as the pan comes off. This is likely something that most folks here (including yourself) would think of before hand, but I didn't and had fluid all over the place :cussing:

·
on line
684 Posts
Be sure to pull the correct hose to drain into your containers as you do the fluid swap... or you'll get warm ATF straight in the face if you position yourself correctly with the wrong line in your hand. :headbang:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts