Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone done their tranny fluid yet?
Swapped their filter? What brand did you use?
I know they claim 100000 on the fluid but if you changed your diff fluid at 35000 like me there is no way I would let the tranny fluid go that long.

I was a believer in the magnafine inline filters for my explorers and had good luck with 1 going over 203000 and 1 with 140000 and still going.

http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/order_page.htm

·
on line
2,125 Posts
i havent done my tranny flush yet, but i would never let the fluid go for 100,000 miles. if the trans fluid looks anything like the front diff fluid i emptied and refilled with new, then im in serious trouble. im just going to take it to the stealership and have them do it. also i think that nissan recomends that the trans fluid be flushed at 30,000 miles.

·
on line
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tranny

I cant get myself to go to the dealer for a flush. I would rather change the filter then let the tranny pump out the old and suck up the new.
I can't see wasting new fluid on an old filter

I know usmc has done the fluid replace but he never mentioned changing the filter. I was hoping for a reply from him

Just wondered if anyone new if napa has the wix filter or if amsoil carries one for the X

·
on line
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did. he's probably in a Turkey coma like the rest of us

·
on line
109 Posts
AZ-Ted said:
I did a drain and fill at 25K miles, but did not change the filter (screen). Instead of the Nissan Matic J fluid, I used the fully synthetic Amsoil ATF.
how is the amsoil working?

I have 40K on the 05X now and still haven`t touched the rears/case or tranny. My local shop tells me that the rears are good for 60K.
and experience has taught me that if the tranny fluid looks great and smells great then don`t mess with it.
The last time i had a dealer do tranny service at 33K, 16K later the converter was going...PR...

·
on line
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[
quote="Pale Rider"]
AZ-Ted said:
I did a drain and fill at 25K miles, but did not change the filter (screen). Instead of the Nissan Matic J fluid, I used the fully synthetic Amsoil ATF.
how is the amsoil working
?

When the dealer did you tranny, did they do the old flush?

My opinion its a bad idea to do that

Pushing the last guy problem into your tranny
not to mention if the unit had th right fluid in it to begin with?
I have seen that happen before first hand

·
on line
807 Posts
I did a full flush on mine at 35k. I pulled the return line off the tranny cooler and let that empty into a bucket then filled it with Amsoil ATF through the fill tube. I didn't drop the pan to look at the filter, but from what I understand it is just a screen anyway, and it doesnt do much.

·
on line
3,285 Posts
Pale Rider said:
AZ-Ted said:
how is the amsoil working?

I have 40K on the 05X now and still haven`t touched the rears/case or tranny. My local shop tells me that the rears are good for 60K.
and experience has taught me that if the tranny fluid looks great and smells great then don`t mess with it.
The last time i had a dealer do tranny service at 33K, 16K later the converter was going...PR...
I did the drain and fill myself. So far so good. I'm at 36K miles now, and no problems at all with the tranny. I will drop the pan on my next drain and fill (approx. 50K miles) and probably change the screen at that time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts