Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

I can't believe that my girlfriend agreed on going to the desert again :) We would like to hit up JTNP and I am curious about conditions there. I would like to take some back roads on a completely stock X. If necessary, I could cough up some dough for AT tires, but I would rather be all stock :) In particular, I am looking at Berdoo Canyon Road and Gold Crown Road.

If you have any tips, plz let me know. I will be there the second week last week of March.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice pics. You said that the car was stock. What tires are those? If I must get tires, I'd rather do it before the trip :) I assume that Berdoo can be done stock. I saw some pics on Tundra forums where a bone stock Tundra had no issues.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
vman said:
Very nice pics. You said that the car was stock. What tires are those? If I must get tires, I'd rather do it before the trip :) I assume that Berdoo can be done stock. I saw some pics on Tundra forums where a bone stock Tundra had no issues.
HAHA I am modded now :) but you will be fine stock. I have done berdoo in both my stock 2003 Xterra and my stock 2006 Xterra, you won't have anyyyy problems.

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet. If you come, bring your 10D. I am going to bring some camera gear to take pictures. For somebody who was born way up north Joshua Trees are a freaking treat!

·
on line
853 Posts
If you want some company be sure to check in at SCCX, maybe some of us can meet you out there. www.sccxterra.com

Other roads you can handle stock would be Pinkham & Thermal Canyons, in the southwest portion of the Park, and Black Eagle Mine Road, on the southeast side. Check the pics here and on SCCX for our recent trip to those.

There were a couple of spots on Old Dale and Gold Crown last year that I was glad I had sliders & skids on, but that may have had more to do with the lines I chose than anything else. Coming in from the north (from Hwy 62) there were a few pretty rough patches. If you head up Old Dale from the south towards the mining district you can go quite a ways before it starts getting rough. That first 10-mile stretch of Old Dale Road is really fun, it's a straight sandy road you can go fast on, just be careful with visibility in the dust. I think there is a pic thread here of last year's JT trip as well. I've posted them in the Great Trails section.

·
on line
853 Posts
XterraDude said:
vman said:
Sweet. If you come, bring your 10D. I am going to bring some camera gear to take pictures. For somebody who was born way up north Joshua Trees are a freaking treat!
hahah nice. Unfortunately I don't use a 10D anymore, I just got a Mark II 1DS :) :) :) :)
Not to hijack this thread, but Jake, is that 1DS Canon's full-frame sensor model (ie same size as 35mm film)? If so, nice. I've got a few Nikon lenses just waiting for me to get a full frame Nikon DSLR. Given the current prices I think it will be a while. Quite a while.

·
on line
1,127 Posts
FrankB said:
XterraDude said:
vman said:
hahah nice. Unfortunately I don't use a 10D anymore, I just got a Mark II 1DS :) :) :) :)
Not to hijack this thread, but Jake, is that 1DS Canon's full-frame sensor model (ie same size as 35mm film)? If so, nice. I've got a few Nikon lenses just waiting for me to get a full frame Nikon DSLR. Given the current prices I think it will be a while. Quite a while.
Yep it is canons 16mp full frame camera. The picture quality from it is absolutly amazing! You should definatly look into getting the new Nikon D3 that thing is absolutly amazing. Very very low noise images.

·
on line
460 Posts
we did JTNP late last Spring in our stock 2006 X... at the time we had 31" Cooper S/T's but no other lift... we had no problem at all running across the huge wash just off the south entrance on I-10 and into one of the canyons... it was a really incredible trip for us because it was our 1st time in the desert after doing mostly coastal trails... we did get a lot of desert "pin-striping" because the late Spring growth was real close to the trail but we wear it as a badge of honor... have a great time

·
on line
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, i am not going to make the Pismo beach run because of this trip. I am mostly going on a long road trip (San Francisco -> Las Vegas -> Reno -> San Francisco) while off-roading somewhere in between. If you do want to come, please see the thread in the Events forum :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts