Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
on line
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure everyone is bored with this topic but I'm new (Prod39 sent me...). I have an 06 OR that I bought used without a bumper hitch so I would assume it does not have the tow package. I bought a used hitch from Prod39 (thanks again...) and now I need the wiring. Courtesy Nissan (http://www.courtesyparts.com/xterra/N50_towing.html) shows 2 harnesses, a 7 pin for $56 and a 4 pin for $18. I have a 4 pin trailer (and I'm cheap) so I'd like to buy the 4 pin harness but the fine print says it only works with the tow package.

1. Will the 4 pin harness work without the tow package? When I installed the hitch I saw what appears to be the factory connector.

2. If the tow package comes with a 7 pin connector and the 4 pin won't work with out the tow package, why would anyone buy one? The 7 to 4 adapter is cheaper.

3. How can you tell if you have the tow package?

4. Anyone have a link to a wiring diagram?

Thanks in advance...

·
on line
280 Posts
This is a very easy thing to do. Just buy the 7 pin harness, plug it into the factory wiring, buy a 7 pin - 4 pin adapter and you are good to go. I believe most X's have the factory wiring, some of the newer first models may not. The tow package consists of the hitch and wiring. You can also add a brake controller for heavy loads. That factory wiring should be there too. Try a seach on here, there is a lot of great info on this and the wiring.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts