Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't belive that Nissan would put the Trailer wiring mount onto the hitch like this. This is a quick shot as I was cutting it off.

Now all I have to do is remount it out of harms way. Any ideas? Pictures?

·
on line
589 Posts
You could probably imitate the Shrockworks bumper mount location. That would be facing the ground mounted upon the inner lip of the rear bumper (That description made sense in my head, maybe someone can provide a pic)...

·
on line
4,919 Posts
Gerdo said:
I can't belive that Nissan would put the Trailer wiring mount onto the hitch like this. This is a quick shot as I was cutting it off.

I agree with Erick. Having the wiring up underneath is handier, though you may need to extend the wiring on your trailer, or make an extension.

BTW, I like your ramps :cheers:

·
on line
1,123 Posts
Erick said:
You could probably imitate the Shrockworks bumper mount location. That would be facing the ground mounted upon the inner lip of the rear bumper (That description made sense in my head, maybe someone can provide a pic)...
Thst is how I ended up mounting mine. I drilled a single hole in the bumper and then tucked the connector up behind the bumper and against the hitch tube. I unfortunately don't have my X this week (I'm driving a borrowed H3) so I can't get pictures before Saturday.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Gerdo said:
I agree... what a stupid place to put it. Ask driver X how great that stock location works out offroad... :geek: I was lucky enough not to rip mine off in Moab, but was almost waiting for it as I hadn't gotten around to moving it before we left. I was thinking about tack-welding it up as a few guys have described here, but may just bolt it on instead. The other popular option is drilling a hole above the license plate light and mounting it recessed in the bumper. Looks good, but will cost you a few bucks for the hole saw (2 1/8", I think?). The write-up is described on here if you search for it (key works: Black Panther, I believe?).

·
on line
564 Posts
Mount it on the bumper...

Just mount it here....

Oh yeah...you don't have to cut the old mounting bracket off, just grab it with a pair of vice grips and twist, it'll come right off at the welds.

Rob

·
on line
7 Posts
I busted mine off a few weekends ago. Before I go buy a replacement from Nissan, does the stock one ($50 from dealer) assemble properly in the bumper or do I need to get one from the auto parts store ($5, but more wiring work). The parts
guy was sure to warn me about voiding my warranty (haha, sure) when I said I was just going to cut off the connector and solder on a Kragens special.

·
on line
86 Posts
I did (or am doing) the $5 special. I knocked mine off in Utah. Didn't even know it happened, or how it happened. Was just all messed up when I got back. The wiring for the cheap one is a pain. If you follow the colors indicated on the aftermarket, the wiring comes out completely wrong. So mine is all wired up wrong until I get out there and rewire it again. Beats paying $50.

·
on line
564 Posts
Oh, by the way...just grab the mount with a pair of vice grips and and move the mount back and forth and it'll come right off at the welds.

Rob

·
on line
628 Posts
I didn't even pay for the towing package, and after bending it the first time I went wheeling, I just cut it off, took it apart and tucked and strapped the wiring up inside the bumper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts