Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girl's boss has an offroad trailer. I don't know brands but knowing him I'm sure it's top of the line, fully rigged. She told me what he paid for it and it was many times the vale of my x.

Anyway, he's basically never used it and keeps offering it to us to borrow. I'd love to take him up on it but what do people do to prevent stuff like this or trailers in general from getting stolen when you want to drop it to run around? Is it limited to taking a tire off or a chain through the wheels? Neither seem great or reliable. Maybe nobody steals them.

Half the point is to ride around showing off your expensive gear that is supposed to go anywhere so maybe leaving it hooked up is the option. I just wondered what people do. I've seen a couple left for the day in moab, maybe the idea is community eyeballs, but we want to go places where that's not the case. One guy we watched dump his trailer and go wheeling also got yelled at for not paying the few bucks for his campsite so maybe he wasn't that smart anyway.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Chain through the wheels and around the axle. Several options to lock the ball socket . Alarm that sounds when moved. 20200416_120331_HDR.jpg Don't wake Bea. She don't like Mexican. Finds it hard to pass the tennis shoes

·
TNX Veteran
4,134 Posts
If it's got a regular ball hitch, buy a ball lock.

And remember, you'll probably have the leveling or stabilizing jacks down. All of that is a deterrent. Add a cable through the wheels if you want. Of course if it has a Lock-n-roll hitch, or any other multi axis off road hitch, that is a deterrent too, because most people have no idea what it is, nor do the they have the necessary opposite end to it.... so they couldn't tow it away even if they wanted to.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
671 Posts
The very nature of trailers is such that they are easy enough to steal. Just have to put enough to make someone think twice, or make it a PITA to haul away.
This is what i use to lock my trailer. (not exact models, but similar)
One on the tongue, and a thick cable lock through the tire spoke and wrapped around the frame and axle.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Don't borrow something you can't afford to replace if needed. That's my rule at least. The stress will make it no fun anyway - especially since its somebody's boss.

If someone wants it, they will get it - no matter how many chains or locks. I suppose you can remove the tires, but that might just inspire someone to vandalize it.

Learned from the school of hard knocks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The very nature of trailers is such that they are easy enough to steal. Just have to put enough to make someone think twice, or make it a PITA to haul away.
This is what i use to lock my trailer. (not exact models, but similar)
One on the tongue, and a thick cable lock through the tire spoke and wrapped around the frame and axle.
View attachment 127492
View attachment 127493
That's kinda my thinking. Any good ol boy who wants to sell it to a salt lake hipster with enough motivation, bolt loppers, or a grinder will get what they want. The goal is to discourage for a couple hours til I get back I guess.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't borrow something you can't afford to replace if needed. That's my rule at least. The stress will make it no fun anyway - especially since its somebody's boss.

If someone wants it, they will get it - no matter how many chains or locks. I suppose you can remove the tires, but that might just inspire someone to vandalize it.

Learned from the school of hard knocks.
Those are good points. Don't want to get too excited with deterrents, it draws people in. I went to college with a guy who had a trans am on campus he rebuilt with his dad. Not my style but it was in great shape so he kept it covered. That cover basically guaranteed the car would get violated weekly. This was in northern Maine so people could flip the cover back and flash freeze twelve beer pee all over it, sometimes freeze the cover to the hood. So he got a locking cover, cable around the bottom. People lined up for blocks to destroy that car at that point.

And the stress is probably not worth what little convenience there is. We have a puppy-ish dog now so we wouldn't be using the roof tent on it anyway, mainly just the galley and fridge.

Getting it stolen and paying him back still might be easier than getting my gf to pack lighter though. Can't wait to get out in the uintas on a cold night and stick to that useless 15 pound air mattress again.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
IntellectualRedneck's first paragraph above sums it up well.

Check out the lockpickinglawyer or bonsainbill channels on YouTube against any lock you're considering or to just be amazed at some of the junk out there.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had a federal agent proceed to chide me that I had to have a certain big shackle lock. My utv had a generator and a 5 inch angle grinder. I had him time me in removing their approved lock. Under ten seconds. He admitted that most of the thefts where not by defeating the lock but by another means. I already knew that by the reports they had sent out.
The compact battery powered tools have made being a thief to easy

·
TNX Veteran
4,134 Posts
To the OP, I didn't realize you here in SLC. I have camped all over this state, the only things I have ever had stolen were things in my truck sitting in my driveway. It's just not an issue here. Campers here leave other people stuff be. And to the other posters comments, and my own personal experience.... Locks will only keep honest people honest. If a thief has the desire, they WILL take your stuff regardless of how it is locked up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To the OP, I didn't realize you here in SLC. I have camped all over this state, the only things I have ever had stolen were things in my truck sitting in my driveway. It's just not an issue here. Campers here leave other people stuff be. And to the other posters comments, and my own personal experience.... Locks will only keep honest people honest. If a thief has the desire, they WILL take your stuff regardless of how it is locked up.
Good to know, that's kinda what I've gathered but am still skeptical. Where I'm from the camping and adventure is similarly remote but the likelihood of tampering goes up the further out you go. Overall theft is low but sometimes people will dream up a reason to feel entitled get into your stuff and maybe borrow it and bring it back later when it's banged up. Locals think they own everything that passes their vision and vacationers think it's the wild west. Glad to know Utah's alright.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
My girl's boss has an offroad trailer
Borrow from a friend .
Dont borrow from someone which controls your income and future raises.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
An old boss of mine taught me desperate people do desperate things. No one steals your 800 dollar oztent or 300 dollar camp stove because its not worth the hassle or they have some conscience. A $10,000 trailer might be too much to resist.

38 million people are now unemployed. In 2008 the neighborhood I lived in then couldn't remember anything stolen ever. After that stuff was being stolen all the time - presumably from people coming to look for it from elsewhere, but my spidy senses tell me that thief's aren't that bright and it was likely someone local who saw the opportunity. Just like people stealing packages at Christmas.

Just my opinion of course. You could always tell the boss you would love to use it but are afraid of it being stolen, and he might say its insured, who cares. In which case might be OK.

However I think Just a Hunters post above is pretty sound.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you want to be totally depressed about all of your locks and cables, go watch LockPickingLawyer on YT. He opens most of these locks in under a minute. He opens some of them faster than you can with the key. All these things are really to keep the opportunists at bay. Real thieves don't give a damn about your padlocks. My M.O. is to keep things locked, and have good insurance.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
A lock, chain, cable etc etc etc will never stop a good thief if they want what you own.

At best, these items are a deterent which may entice a opportunistic grabber to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My anti-theft approach has always been to make it take long enough to get caught. The longer it will take, the lower the risk that someone will do it. I have a solid ball lock, cable through one wheel and a boot on the other. Boots are affordable and will take some time to defeat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts