Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know which relays are for what? I need the running lights up ASAP and can't get the relay pack from the dealer immediately. I can just splice off the plate light on the back, but I would rather add a relay if I can. I'm not going to discuss how I feel about the relays not being in all X's or that I was troubleshooting why my factory harness for too long before looking for information...

·
Registered
81 Posts
According to the wiring diagram in my Chilton manual the relays are for the directional lights and the feed that charges the trailer battery (if you have one). No relays in the circuit to the tail lights.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the kick panel off and took a look. The diagram of the relay install I saw didn't show the needed harness, so I don't think I can wire through that connector anyway. I appreciate you looking. The signals and brakes work fine, just not running. From what I have read online, that harness and relays is needed. I will order it and have to just splice off the license plate light in the back to feed my running lights until I can get that harness. I have never seen that in a truck.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you get the factory trailer light kit, it will come with a sub harness, two blue, one brown relay and the rear harness with the plug. The brown relay is for the charge circuit, one of blue relays is for the tail lights and the other is for the reverse lights if it is a manual transmission. You can temporarily hook up through the license lamp circuit, but if you leave it that way, problems will arise since that circuit is not designed for the additional load.

·
on line
951 Posts
Check your fuses. The fuse for the running lights is in the ipdm under the hood. I've had mine fail a couple of times, really sucks when all of a sudden your trailer goes total dark with a cop behind you.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Fuses. Bad trailer wiring takes out the trailer light fuse but will leave the vehicle light intact.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts