Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a "Bentolin Durable Hitch Mount Flagpole Holder with Anti-Wobble Screws Universal for Standard 2-Inch Hitch Receivers" and a "DIIG 6FT Flag Pole Kit, Stainless Steel Heavy Duty American US Flagpole, Rustproof for Outdoor Garden Roof Walls Yard Truck" (see below).

Aviation Aircraft Rectangle Computer monitor accessory Metal

Line Tool Font Sword Metal

This set-up is fine when driving around town. However, the flagpole (it has a 1" diameter) wobbles around and is a safety hazard at highway speeds.

I went on Amazon and "every" trailer hitch flag pole had a 1" inch diameter. One company sells a square pole/hitch combo for around $140.00. See below.

Output device Font Technology Electronic device Gadget

Does anyone have any suggestions which will not cost $140.00 plus the amount I spent for the prior flag pole holder.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Find a piece of pvc pipe - or a couple pieces the right size to slide in the existing pipe - and use them as collet / sleeve to shim the hole to the size you want. Mark where the tightening bolts would hit the PVC and drill holes a fair bit larger than the tightening bolts - so your tightener still tightens down directly against the flag not the sleeve. Should hold everything together nicely.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Go to hardware store. Buy a foot of 3/4" rubber hose. Cut 3" sections and slice down the middle. Use as many sections as needed.

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
752 Posts
Oooo... I was wondering about this too.. what I could use to put a flag.. but I dont even have a hitch in the back yet...

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Find a piece of pvc pipe - or a couple pieces the right size to slide in the existing pipe - and use them as collet / sleeve to shim the hole to the size you want. Mark where the tightening bolts would hit the PVC and drill holes a fair bit larger than the tightening bolts - so your tightener still tightens down directly against the flag not the sleeve. Should hold everything together nicely.

This is what I did so far. I took a 1" x 2' piece of PVC pipe and inserted it into a 1 1/4" x 2' piece of PVC. The 1" diameter flag pole fits snuggly into the inner PVC pipe. The flag hitch grip is much tighter on the external 1 1/4" PVC pipe. However, I will probably insert the two PVC pipes into a 1 1/2" pipe for an even tighter fit.

Vehicle Hood Light Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Drinkware Cup Tire Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Bicycle part

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
752 Posts
Some Macgyver stuff right there ! )))
how dose it stays in there pretty solid ?
wonder why they made that flag pole holder so huge ...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some Macgyver stuff right there ! )))
how dose it stays in there pretty solid ?
wonder why they made that flag pole holder so huge ...
Great question. The diameter is so large you can fit a commercial metal fence pole in it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Because our trucks are so square, unless you brace the top of the pole, it'll wobble around due to wind buffetting.

Go pick up some 550 chord, tie one length of it to the roof bar on the right and another to the roof bar on the left, then cut them to length and tie them off to the top of the flag pole so that it is braced.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
This is what I did so far. I took a 1" x 2' piece of PVC pipe and inserted it into a 1 1/4" x 2' piece of PVC. The 1" diameter flag pole fits snuggly into the inner PVC pipe. The flag hitch grip is much tighter on the external 1 1/4" PVC pipe. However, I will probably insert the two PVC pipes into a 1 1/2" pipe for an even tighter fit.

View attachment 139019 View attachment 139020 View attachment 139021 View attachment 139022
Looks good. If you want to clean up the appearance you can obviously cut the PVC shorter, or bedliner the pvc black - bedliner sticks to pvc pretty well.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

View attachment 139019 View attachment 139020 View attachment 139021 View attachment 139022
Turns out that a 1 1/4" PVC pipe will not fit into a 1 1/2" PVC pipe. I tried to find a 1 1/4 PVC repair coupling but none of the big box stores carry it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks good. If you want to clean up the appearance you can obviously cut the PVC shorter, or bedliner the pvc black - bedliner sticks to pvc pretty well.
Yes - I will definitely paint it black because I like the support the longer PVC provides.

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
752 Posts
Post some more photos later one to keep us updated with this project )

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Post some more photos later one to keep us updated with this project )
I love the comparison between my posts and your posts. My posts involve minor inconveniences, and your posts involve major upgrades. I guess we all can't be "A" students.

·
Registered
Midnight Blue 2007 X
752 Posts
I love the comparison between my posts and your posts. My posts involve minor inconveniences, and your posts involve major upgrades. I guess we all can't be "A" students.
most of the time I dont know what I am about to get into before starting doing some repairs and figuring it out as it goes.. some times it works some times it doesn't lol
but I would like to see more of the photos of your suspension

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
most of the time I dont know what I am about to get into before starting doing some repairs and figuring it out as it goes.. some times it works some times it doesn't lol
but I would like to see more of the photos of your suspension
Posting lift pics now.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Turns out that a 1 1/4" PVC pipe will not fit into a 1 1/2" PVC pipe. I tried to find a 1 1/4 PVC repair coupling but none of the big box stores carry it.
If you have access to a table saw and now how to use it - you can cut a slit the full length of the smaller pipe - essentially splitting one size lengthwise - then hammer it in the thicker pipe. Make sure your using a guide and blade cover to do this safely because cutting pvc is much more difficult than cutting lumber.

If you don't have a table saw you can do it with a hand saw and a vice if you have the patience. You will then need to run something like dremmel down the slit to widen it - or your 1.25 pipe won't fit into the 1.5 inch pipe.

If your wondering how on earth I know all this - there is a whole group of people online that build all kinds of crap out of PVC pipe. Its one of the most versatile and cheapest building materials available. I have built a bike stand, a kayak rack, and a english style lonbow out of the stuff. Check out youtube to find more ideas - there are plenty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts