Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for recommendations for a trailer hitch cargo carrier. I have the Nissan trailer hitch package, what size would I need. I would be hauling dead deer, coolers, etc. with it. Folding one would be nice, price is important as well.

Thanks.

·
on line
671 Posts
I bought & use the CArgoMaster I bought from Harbor Freight.
It rocks.I have carried coolers full of water,4 tires, tons of junk & it is very nice.
I drilled afew holes in it to either extend or shorten depending on the load.
I've had about 400lbs on it without any bending or distortion to it.
Doesn't fold up though.I also put my 4 bike rack into it to carry both coolers & bikes.
Paid 59.99 on sale.Usually 69.99

·
on line
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks, one more question I promise. With one of these hitch cargo carriers, will I need a receiver hitch extension, or is it ready to go, have enough room as is, onto the Xterra trailer hitch?

·
on line
500 Posts
aldo said:
Ok thanks, one more question I promise. With one of these hitch cargo carriers, will I need a receiver hitch extension, or is it ready to go, have enough room as is, onto the Xterra trailer hitch?
Only use an extension if you can't get the tail gate open with the carrier attached. Every inch further away from the back of the truck dramatically increases the force/stress on the trailer hitch. It's a cantalevered mass.

Patrick

·
on line
671 Posts
no...do not get that one...
I will look on their site & post a link

·
on line
1,361 Posts
so the one posted above you can put a bike rack made for a 2 inch rcvr in the end?

·
on line
671 Posts
Yes with alittle modification.
The hitch tube runs through a channel to the end of the rack.
I shortened the overall length of tube& drilled holes to bring closer to truck for strength & re-drilled the holes to accomodate the bike rack.
The bike rack then slides into the rack channeling.
The rack had to be slightly ground & re-painted to slide easily.
Wife requirement
THe B\Rcack was heavily textured paint, almost bedliner coat.
This rig was originally designed for my Expedition.
My dimensions allowed me to open back hatch with bike on it.When it rained I could open the back hatch & put the lawn chair in the cargo rack with lid open & sit dry.
I've got pics & dimensions of it ,but can't find them.
Too much H\D space. lol!
With the X it doesn't work that way.It works ,but you can't open hatch with alot on the rack.
I have obtained a new tube to drill for it to specifically work with the X.
THis works great for hauling around to campgrounds & bike trailheads.
It has made afew Ocala National forest backcountry trips.
I have had it offroad & no problems , ie..cracks or bending.
20 some trips with also.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
i have seen some that you can get a 1.25inch to 2inch adapter and hook on to the back of the rack and then hook your 2inch bike rack to that. I can't find any online right now that state they are able to do that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts