Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone check out this basket/bike rack i made. It was so frustrating for me to put down all the seats and lift my 45 pound downhill bike into the back of my x. So i got to thinking..i got some ideas from other bike racks ive seen but i thought it would be nice to have a place for firwood and my cooler when i go camping. so i combined my ideas and this is what turned out. I think im going to mount a flag on it tho, because i cant see the basket in any of my mirrors. ive gotten pretty close to backing into my garage with it.

·
on line
1,149 Posts
Nice DEMO dude! Hows the riding where you are? Arent you near SLO? I heard they have some nasty trails out there. I need to check out that place. Nice work on the basket as well.

·
on line
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you! It took me about 12 hrs to build and it weighs about 65 pounds but its solid. Itll last forever.
xterra3100, yes im an hour south of slo but i have yet to ride there, i have a freind that lives and rides up there but just havent got up there yet. Santa barbara is about the same distance to the south and many GOOD downhill trails. Tunnel trail is the most popular and is a world class trail. Do you ride? you should come up, Im always looking for a riding partner (not to sound sketchy), Id show you around. Thanks agian.

·
on line
112 Posts
nice bike x-mann. i have a spare set of front 4-piston Hope M4-6 front brakes for your Boxxer fork, setup for a right-hand lever. you interested in a backup set?

·
on line
1,149 Posts
I rose tunnel about 3 months ago and did it all on my built Giant Reign which will soon be a 6.7 soon. Its an 05 thats built. Not as cushy as your set up but none the less fun as hell. Ill pm you when we make our way up there again. Funny thing is my parents live in Ventura which is where i grew up and spent 21 years there. Ill be sure to hit you up!

Alex how much are you letting the M4's go for? Those things are grabby as hell!

·
on line
112 Posts
x-mann said:
I think im going to mount a flag on it tho, because i cant see the basket in any of my mirrors. ive gotten pretty close to backing into my garage with it.

Those flags would've been helpful when I was pushing my old 78 Chevy up my driveway, trying to get it close to the garage door. The thing didn't run, and I rolled it back to work on it. When I was done I decided to use my other truck to push it back up to the garage door.

Well, I guess I'm a poor judge of the length of my own truck, because I pushed the Chevy through the garage about 3ft. I didn't even know I was touching the garage until I saw the garage buckle and rip the rail off the wall. I thought I had to give it a little more gas to get it those last few feet!

lol, yep, a $5 flag would've helped a lot...

·
on line
112 Posts
xterra3100 said:
Alex how much are you letting the M4's go for? Those things are grabby as hell!
As pictured, you can have them for $80 shipped (as long as you're in the continental US). I had some extra 8in rotors laying around, but I can't put my hands on them. They were nothing special, but some were new and others close to new. If I can find them, I'll throw them in with the brakes, but it looks like you already have a nice rotor setup on your bike.

These worked great and should still work great once you bleed them - but you'd have to disconnect the lines anyway because mine were setup for right-hand use, not left-hand like yours and most other bikes.

The reservoir cap screws are not stripped at all, and the seal is still in good shape. Pads have usable life left in them.

And yes, I know there's a lot of dog hair on the floor in those pics! :D

·
on line
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks LITS.
Alex- thanks anyways but I just bought a new set of hope mono 6 plus braided lines. theyre sick. best brakes ive ever owned. i wanted to get the hope moto v2's but thyere way too expensive.

xterra3100-i give you props for doing tunnel on that bike. Its challenging for me and i have 8 inches of travel...ive heard o guys that do it on a hard tail. But yeah you should cruise up here and ride. I havent ridden since last aug at big bear.
The only thing I else i would have done diff to the basket would be to add a second bike mount (im kicking myself now) but i might be able to rig something up.

·
on line
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
firemansxterra said:
nice job on the rack...so did you just take a regular hitch basket and then mount the bike holder on it or what?
No i totally built the basket from scratch. My dads got a full on metal fab shop, With an endless supply of stock and good scap metal. I just made some drawings and started making it. and thats what i came up with.. i just finished making my lift shackles last weekend, Im gonna get them powdercoated, but i might wait cause im planning on making some sliders. BTW, do you hav sliders cause i need some pics to go off of when fabbing them. Thanks.

·
on line
1,504 Posts
no, i don't have any sliders on this rig yet...but get a hold of mark or eddo and they can get you some good pics...i'm pretty sure they both probably already have some...as for the basket i was wondering what you were going to do for additional bikes...i have just the old yakima hitch mount but i can haul four bikes on it...but i do like your setup...that was some sweet designing...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts