Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I just saw pictures of hwy 36 and hwy 7 out west of lyon's that there's some spots of the roads that are completely gone. Thread jack finished
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,449 Posts
Tref,
There are 2 ways to access Eagle Rock. One is off of the Mt. Baldy Trail or you can drive past the Mt. Baldy Trailhead entrance a short distance and enter Eagle Rock from Old Stage Rd. Both entrances are off of Old Stage Rd. If you have the Fun Treks book, it gives a pretty detailed description of both trails and how to access them. Saran Wrap can only be accessed from Eagle Rock as far as I know. Definitely need to be modded for it as it is more difficult than Eagle Rock. Eagle Rock has been done in a stock X (Robb_D), but that was about 3 years ago and I have heard from the local Jeep guys there that the trail has changed a bit so sliders and skids may be a good recommendation.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I ran Eagle Rock and Saran Wrap with some Jeep guys in my buddy's Jeep back in April/May. Saran Wrap is a loop that starts off of Old Stage Road just west of the start of Eagle Rock. Saran Wrap ends at the large open area on Eagle Rock (right before Eagle rock heads up into the tress). We actually had a harder time getting up Eagle Rock than Saran Wrap (but we also ran the trails with 1.5' of snow on the ground).

The green arrow is the start of Saran Wrap. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.736251,-104.992445&ll=38.740411,-104.990222&spn=0.01585,0.026157&num=1&t=h&z=16
You can see where it ends off to the right in that clearing, which is where Eagle Rock begins. I think you can run Saran Wrap either direction, but I recommend starting at the green arrow and running the loop clockwise. I think the hill climbs are much more fun that way.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The fun in Boulder is still underway. Boulder is in no way out of the woods including the foothills above. Not looking good for the area but there is plenty of time to dry out by then. My wife is stuck in Boulder as I type this trying to find a way out to get home to Thornton. All roads out are closed! A policeman told her to try 119 as it was the last open route out - including all side streets, 93, and US36!
Slasa, did your wife make it home okay? All good for you?

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I ran Eagle Rock and Saran Wrap with some Jeep guys in my buddy's Jeep back in April/May. Saran Wrap is a loop that starts off of Old Stage Road just west of the start of Eagle Rock. Saran Wrap ends at the large open area on Eagle Rock (right before Eagle rock heads up into the tress). We actually had a harder time getting up Eagle Rock than Saran Wrap (but we also ran the trails with 1.5' of snow on the ground).

The green arrow is the start of Saran Wrap. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=38.73...num=1&t=h&z=16
You can see where it ends off to the right in that clearing, which is where Eagle Rock begins. I think you can run Saran Wrap either direction, but I recommend starting at the green arrow and running the loop clockwise. I think the hill climbs are much more fun that way.
Roger,

That's a good amount of info to start thank you, so your saying a stock x can run both of these? Im fine with the more the merrier as long as everyone can make it through.

Treff,
There are 2 ways to access Eagle Rock. One is off of the Mt. Baldy Trail or you can drive past the Mt. Baldy Trailhead entrance a short distance and enter Eagle Rock from Old Stage Rd. Both entrances are off of Old Stage Rd. If you have the Fun Treks book, it gives a pretty detailed description of both trails and how to access them. Saran Wrap can only be accessed from Eagle Rock as far as I know. Definitely need to be modded for it as it is more difficult than Eagle Rock. Eagle Rock has been done in a stock X (Robb_D), but that was about 3 years ago and I have heard from the local Jeep guys there that the trail has changed a bit so sliders and skids may be a good recommendation.
Correct me if im wrong but jack?

I know this trial is been rutted out over the past few season so I know its not an easy trail. I don't have a funtreks book but if I need to get one so be it. Im sure some of the spring guys will be willing to do this trail. But good to know about the intersecting of the trails I was unaware.

Also just a note to people reading this thread. I myself and hopefully a few others will be running each entire trail. I know parts of it can be very challenging especially if wet but if you chose to still wanna come meet some people and don't yet have to confidence or the peace of mind Mt Baldy is always a fun option.

Mt Baldy
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=233

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Treff,
I'm in for this run and ill see if I can get a couple of people to join us.. Plus I'm gonna need to test out the repairs that I'm doing now on the leaf springs and perch's
Bill
Bill just let me know whos going

·
Registered
176 Posts
Roger,

That's a good amount of info to start thank you, so your saying a stock x can run both of these? Im fine with the more the merrier as long as everyone can make it through.

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=233
This may be my lack of experience talking, but no, I do not think a stock X can run these. We did it in the snow (which made it a lot more difficult), so we couldn't really see our lines, but from what I could tell there are a lot of big rocks. There may be a couple bypasses on 1 or 2 obstacles, but I would want sliders, skids, and lift before I'd try to run these trails. We did need to do some winching at some points, but that may have been more due to the snow making the trail slick. I think it ended up taking us about 2.5 to 3 hours to do Saran Wrap (we did stop at the top for a lunch break though).

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Lots of repairs!!!! Ill explain later, how's your rig coming along?
Great, got the prototype rolling with ballistic fab and their new CAD/Machining equipment, so I just threw my old cover on last night (arb installed and axles rebuilt) so the RTV could dry overnight. I will be filling her up tonight and will be wiring and installing a Viair 380c w/ 2.5 gallon tank this weekend to run the locker and a good start for my on board air setup. Depending on how I like it, I will either be adding a second 380C w/ another tank (if I can find a safe place for it) or adding a powertank:) Either way... progress!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Great, got the prototype rolling with ballistic fab and their new CAD/Machining equipment, so I just threw my old cover on last night (arb installed and axles rebuilt) so the RTV could dry overnight. I will be filling her up tonight and will be wiring and installing a Viair 380c w/ 2.5 gallon tank this weekend to run the locker and a good start for my on board air setup. Depending on how I like it, I will either be adding a second 380C w/ another tank (if I can find a safe place for it) or adding a powertank:) Either way... progress!
Very nice!! I'm definitely adding a Powertank setup along with the OBD.. Keep me posted abt the Ballistic Fab Diff cover, I'm in for one..

·
on line
1,449 Posts
This may be my lack of experience talking, but no, I do not think a stock X can run these.
Like I said, I know a stock X OR did Eagle Rock, but that was 3 years ago and I know the trail has gotten more difficult since then with the beating it has taken from the weather over the years. It is one of the trails on my list when I return to Colorado next year. I have a lot of faith in the Xterra in stock form since I have done a many a trail in Colorado that way, but I also use common sense and take my time when wheeling as well. And I usually won't take on a difficult or unfamiliar trail alone.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I ran the trails headed up to Saran Wrap and Eagle Rock a few months ago in my X when it had a 2in Shackle and Spacer lift and it was fairly rough. That was just getting to the trails, I did not dare take them without a lift or good tires.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I plan on being there for sure now that the trails are closer to home. Hopefully the trails have not been hit to hard by the rain as there are some narrow areas up there.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I plan on being there for sure now that the trails are closer to home. Hopefully the trails have not been hit to hard by the rain as there are some narrow areas up there.
just makes it more fun

·
on line
1,449 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but jack?

I know this trial is been rutted out over the past few season so I know its not an easy trail. I don't have a funtreks book but if I need to get one so be it. Im sure some of the spring guys will be willing to do this trail. But good to know about the intersecting of the trails I was unaware.
Yeah, before I moved to Florida last winter, the local Jeep guys in Monument were telling me that Eagle Rock has gotten a lot trickier and more difficult over the last 3 years or so due to the weather and wheeling taking its toll on the trail. And you definitely need to get the Fun Treks books (both of the Colorado ones since you live up north) as they are very detailed. Charles Wells (who lives in Monument) and his staff are very dedicated and thorough on the trails in Colorado as well as other locations, including Moab.

Also just a note to people reading this thread. I myself and hopefully a few others will be running each entire trail. I know parts of it can be very challenging especially if wet but if you chose to still wanna come meet some people and don't yet have to confidence or the peace of mind Mt Baldy is always a fun option.
It can be tricky in inclement weather and there is a big huge mud hole right at the entrance of Eagle Rock off of Old Stage Rd. Sometimes it is full of water and sometime dry. Probably pretty full right now with all the rain you guys are getting.

Mt. Baldy can be fun, but can get a little interesting on the shelf road if the weather starts changing or if it has been raining or snowing.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts