Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some friends visiting from SoCal in a few weeks, so I thought I would pre-run the Shasta Loop today in search of a good trail for an offroad excursion while they're here.

It's an easy 2 1/2 hour loop from Mt. Shasta City around Mt. Shasta to Weed with some spectacular views. The only obstacles I encountered were two logging crews, a herd of cows that decided a red Xterra would be fun to chase, and a thunderstorm in the early afternoon. All in all, a good picnic run.

One of the locals told me about a forest service road that starts a few miles from Mt. Shasta City at or near Lake Siskiyou and ends somewhere near Castle Crags State Park, supposedly with views of Trinity Lake and the Trinity Alps from one of the ridgelines. I didn't have enough daylight to venture there, and my maps didn't show the connecting routes I was looking for. Anyone know anything about these trails?

·
Super Moderator
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS - the Mt. Shasta Loop is referenced in these guides:

Charles A. Wells, Guide to Northern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails (2004), p. 35, and

Massey & Wilson, Backcountry Adventures-Northern California (2002), p.575-582. [There is a newer, 2006 edition. Not sure of the page # in the 2006 edition.]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts