Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Seems like your being a bit irrational, "armed posse".

Have you ever seen a fire fight? I have. I've also seen where your ability to shoot accurately under pressure degrades as the stress ramps up. How many times have you seen police get into a fire fight? I've seen lots and one thing I've noticed is that one mag is never enough when your under stress. Try hitting a moving target with one shot. Not likely to happen.

I have noted that in many forums of off-roaders carrying weapons into the back country. So does that mean off-roaders are paranoid? There are a lot of illegal drug sites in the California mountains run by well known Mexican gangs. However, I'm not talking about the two-legged animals, more like the four legged type. Mountain lions, bears, etc. You never know what is out there that would make a meal out of you. Not paranoid, just prepared.
Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

·
on line
6,543 Posts
For that reason, I'm considering attaching a TOW to the top of the X.

Just in case one of the whistlepigs gets a bit aggressive.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Biggest are 17mm and 19mm for rear bumper, and 21mm for lug nuts (yours may differ)
Common one is 10mm for battery terminal

I have a metric and SAE wrenches from 6mm to 19mm, similar in SAE
For sockets I have a hard plastic cased set, the usual of similar range.

Mostly I use all of these in civilization, but you never know
Lots of gear one could buy and never use with sockets and wrenches
And for bumper bolts you want Impact 6 point (strong) sockets, as opposed to the more general 12 point which will break if used improperly (with impact wrench on a high tensioned bolt)

I started recently carrying my impact driver (a much lighter version of impact wrench) meant for home use. Because it's an Impact Driver, not Impact Wrench, it could not loosen bumper or lug nuts, but once loosened, it sure can get it on/off quickly.

The most use I get it from the 10mm on battery terminals

Start with a set and when you find gaps, fill them with tools you actually use

Any ideas on min and max size socket and wrenches to bring? Dont want to bring a huge kit if not needed.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
10, 12,14, 17-18-19 and 21 are the ones i have found myself needing mostly, as well as stuff like spark plug and o2 sockets. the axle nuts are bigger like 24 i think.. but hopefully you dont find yourself needing that one!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Adding 32” to tool kit. Thanks. Hope I don’t need and not sure I could use road side but better to have and not use than not having at all. I am planning on bringing my cordless impact to. Didn’t see much mention of that in this thread.

·
on line
6,543 Posts
On the axle lug nuts, they can be 32mm, but I've also come across 34mm. That can happen when one changes out their half shafts to aftermarket. I'm not sure I'd worry too much about the O2 sensors (they're 22mm, IIRC). If you're trying to be minimal, you really only want what'll strand you on the trail.

You should also carry certain hex keys as well. Aftermarket wheel hubs will let you change out the ABS sensor with one, your diff, xfer case, front axle, and maybe your tranmission require them to drain and fill.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
My brother found this post from another forum after our last trip had a little roadside detour caused by a blown plastic heater core hose, patching it together... then spending $300-$400 at Autozone on random ish to make sure we'd be ok if something else happened on the trip. Between the 2 of us buying supplies, we've got a pretty good random assortment put together in this same pelican case. Made sure you have a random supply of various hoses, clamps, barb fittings... since thats what almost left us stuck.

We both have our separate recovery gear bags, this is just the tools/supplies. He has more winch specific stuff, I have more of the general stuff... tree straps, shackles (soft and not), tow rope, kinetic strap, GI shovel, traction boards, etc

I carry my $15 amazon OBDII code reader too.

The link...

Copy & Paste in case the link goes dead...
so i use a 1520 Pelican case with padded divider set (part number 1524), and added the "photographer's lid organizer" to it as well. the Pelican carries 95% of my tools and little bit of the spare & misc stuff like bailing wire, duct tape, epoxies and goops, fuses, relays, bolts, fittings, zip-ties, etc. the case and all this stuff comes in at a hefty 65 pounds!

on more remote trips i also carry an air impact wrench and die grinder with cut-off blade too (those just get tucked away in whatever little spots are free). the hi-lift, full size axe and shovel are always on the roof, and the stock jack is always under the back seat. the trail welder also stays in the jeep.

Rectangle Laptop accessory Gadget Composite material Multimedia

Automotive lighting Musical instrument accessory Rectangle Gas Auto part

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Grille Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Hand tool Bumper Tableware Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Musical instrument Office supplies Electronic device Fashion accessory

Product Tool Hand tool Motor vehicle Gas

·
Registered
36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
A fire fight while offroading? Seriously? Your advocacy for what amounts to an armed posse strikes me as a bit paranoid.
I support a citizen's right to bear arms, but your kind of thinking gives traction to the gun control argument. At minimum, it raises the question of whether you have sufficient mental stability to be permitted to carry firearms.
Well I'd like to hear how you feel about it now. We are heading into a financial and economic collapse that will make the 20's depression sound like a picnic. Cartels are now setting up drug camps in the national recreation areas and the feds are not helping to get rid of them. So if your out in the back country and run across one of those camps will you survive? I love the back country but its getting very dangerous out there. I carry a 9mm and 6 full double stack mags with me; as they say, 1 is none and 2 is 1. Better safe than sorry and I don't know of anybody going solo these days. Minimum of 6 rigs for my group. Fully equipped and armed. If you want to know about mental stability watch the news. Old people like me are getting beat up, robbed and killed for no good reason by Antifa and BLM supporters. I'm armed at all times.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
For that reason, I'm considering attaching a TOW to the top of the X.

Just in case one of the whistlepigs gets a bit aggressive.

there is balance to everything, having a gun ( or 2 ) and some extra mags is a reasonable amnt of weight and size to carry along.

Im just "gun person" so typically when im out in the mountains i plan to do at least a little target shooting. so i typically have mulitple firearms in my rig while out on the trail or camping or whatever.

only 1 is readily available, my 9mm pistol. but hey, if i need the long gun, its there.

its not paranoid to have a few firearms and ammo.

just like we have trail spares and recovery equipment and insurance that we hope to never use.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Well I'd like to hear how you feel about it now. We are heading into a financial and economic collapse that will make the 20's depression sound like a picnic. Cartels are now setting up drug camps in the national recreation areas and the feds are not helping to get rid of them. So if your out in the back country and run across one of those camps will you survive? I love the back country but its getting very dangerous out there. I carry a 9mm and 6 full double stack mags with me; as they say, 1 is none and 2 is 1. Better safe than sorry and I don't know of anybody going solo these days. Minimum of 6 rigs for my group. Fully equipped and armed. If you want to know about mental stability watch the news. Old people like me are getting beat up, robbed and killed for no good reason by Antifa and BLM supporters. I'm armed at all times.

im hear ya, but do you mean 6 mags in your person? or in the rig? 6 on the person is overkill, but just having them in the rig, sure why not.

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
435 Posts

Illegal Pot Operations In Public Forests Are Poisoning Wildlife And Water

Wild West: Drug cartels thrive in US national parks

81 - 95 of 95 Posts