Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Anyone who has been wheelin’ with me, has heard me talk about that "one thing" I was always worried about.

Well, it happened. Apparently somewhere on Crystal Mountain I must have smacked my rear diff. I check when I got home, but didn't see any leaking or anything out of the ordinary. BUT, when I backed out of my garage yesterday, I saw a drop on the floor.
I'm not sure how much has leaked out... Two days after we did the run, I left town for almost two weeks, and my X sat at the airport. I didn't think about it when I left, so didn't see if/what had leaked.
I plan on dropping by harbor freight tomorrow and picking up the large allen socket to open the fill plug and finger check how much fluid is in there (unless there is an easier way?).

My questions:

1: Should I try givin’ it some lovin' with a deadblow (w/o removing the cover) to see if it stops leaking, or just plan on replacing it? It doesn’t appear to be pealed back, just a few chips on the bottom… is there some type of sealant I can put in there w/o removing it?

2: If I replace it, what all options are out there? I've seen a beefy one on this site, but couldn't find it again (searched). What about the OEM aluminum replacement cover?
If I go with a "stock style" diff, my next purchase will be at all-phase to have them build me a full diff cover (kinda like the AC one).

3: If/when it gets removed, which RVT "version" should I use? I've read on different threads and seen different suggestions (gray or black)... I've never worked with it before, so I'm a bit leery.

Any other options/suggestions/ help would be appreciated…

·
on line
463 Posts
Gotta tell ya ; there's a guy in our group, out here, who stripped a bolt and continues to use any kind of goop he can find to stop the drip.........hasn't worked yet !
I expect Al Gore to get on him shortly for contamination of our world !
I believe your best bet is to remove the cover and straighten it, buy a new gasket, and a diff cover protector,,,,,,,,for Christmas !

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: It is fairly rare, for a (any) differential to go thru life without a DPW (drop per week), lube leak--

--Were it mine, I would pull the fill plug, feel down and check the level of lube , if, at fingertip, refill and wipe off the bottom of diff, with solvent and firmly (with ballpeen hammer) just rap the cover edge, back toward the housing--

--If you can't feel any lube, do the same and watch the (same spot in garage or street) for a week, if it still maintains a DPW (remember) forget about , just check the level fairly often,especially before any trips--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I am sure you have not lost enough yet to worry about any internal damage right now.

Trying to bang it back is not going to help.

Trying to seal it externally isn't going to help.

The cover it's self is not damaged, you just broke the seal.

Drain the fluid, pull the cover, clean up the cover and diff of all old sealant, reseal the cover and put it back on. If you are worried about doing it again, get the Shrock diff armor (get it before you do any work as you will end up breaking the seal again when putting it on).

You want to use Permatex Ultra Grey 82194.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking mine is a drop per night... just guessing. I don't see a drip when parked, traveling around during the day. I have only seen one in my garage.

I've heard that you have to lift the rear to get the fluid full. From the sound of things here, I can pull the fill plug w/o worry of it being full enough to come out the top - or should I lift it before I check it?

I am worried about it happening again, which is why I will get a full diff skid/cover like the AC one (protect it all, not just the rear cover). I'm told All-Phase up in Longmont CO should be able to make one for me.

Thx for the help, sounds like I know what I need to do... two (hopefully) final questions:

1. how much RTV is enough, just a nozzle size line all the way around (never done this before)?

2. anyone know of a local Denver/Boulder amsoil dealer that would carry the diff fluid (Severe Gear 75W 90...that's what MC uses, right?), or should I just order it online?

·
on line
807 Posts
Your fill/drain plugs aren't allen. It just takes a socket extension. I forget whether is is 3/8" or 1/2"

·
on line
15,651 Posts
If you are lifted in the rear where the pinion angle is pointed up, then you will want to jack it up before opening the fill plug. Also, be sure to make sure the diff (and fluid) is cold before opening it up.

The Shrockworks skid is designed to prevent what happened to you. A lot of aftermarket covers will not work as well, as a lot of them are not diff armor.

You just want to run a bead of RTV around the lip of the cover.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't find any in my pics... but ther is a guy with a Gen1 Xterra with the diff skid I'm talking about up in Ft. Collins. The hope is to cover the whole thing so that I don't have to worry about doing this again, as well as grinding off my drain plug.

Thx for the help. I hope to jack 'er up and check the fluid tonight, then do the repair next weekend.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Do a search for the AC Diff skid and look at the number of people who scrapped them for the Shrock.

With the AC skid you loose valuable ground clearance, right where you need the most. And again, the Shrock is designed to prevent exactly what happened to you. The only thing it doesn't do is protect the drain plug. But for as often as you need the drain plug, it's not really a big deal.

If you don't like the Shrock idea, do a search for the Blue Torch cover that someone had made. It's an entirely new cover that is made of MUCH thicker steel than the stock cover. It will prevent peel back and also protect the diff if you should back it into something.

I am not trying to push the Shrock product on you, but I am trying to sway you to give that design a serious though. Take a look at the Jeep world and see what king of diff armor they run. You will not see anyone run a skid like the AC one. There are just too many draw backs.

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blue Torch was the one I was thinking about in the first post... I saw it once before and was impressed, but couldn't find the post until just now(http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2924)

Originally, I was thinking I wouldn't mind the loss of ground clearance if it works as a true skid and slides over stuff. I was looking for something that would stop the scraping on the "OEM" parts in case I ever had to take it in for work; hoping the dealer wouldn't play the abuse card... now, I dunno.

...ok, one more question; how much fluid does the rear diff take (haven't taken the time to look it up yet)?

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I jacked up the rear end after backing up my slanted driveway (put it in 4-HI to use as a front break) pulled the fill plug (it was not in there very tight?) and pinkie checked the level... it was up to the bottom of the fill hole.

So, the leak isn't bad at all. I do, however, plan on pulling and re-sealing it this weekend.

I have to say... diff fluid has quite a pungent smell. I checked it almost 2 hours ago, and it's still burnt into my nose!

·
on line
14 Posts
First off-road trip with my (wife's) new '07 Off-Road X. Heading through a two-track mud/water pit and bam! I hear a hard hit to the back of the truck.

I get home, and spray off my truck (under and over). Next day, there's a tranny leak in my driveway. Sure enough, I very slightly peeled back the rear casing on the Diff.

Solution:
Using a block of wood to spread out the hammer blows, I banged the lip back into place and 10 K miles later, no leak. So that is one solution, but probably not the most permanent one.

I'm going to pick up the Shrockworks cover. Help Santa!

Scott

·
on line
120 Posts
Dude, I live in Thornton and work in Lafayette. I'm the one with the BTF cover if you are interested in looking at it (although the pics I posted show it pretty well).
I have a BRAND NEW, never installed factory cover that I used for the template if you want for $40....

·
on line
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Dude-Man, I've decided to go with the shrockworks diff cover.

I called Jim yesterday and he said it would be 1-2 weeks before shipping for a powedercoated diff cover... I'll just wait to pull/reseal the cover until I get the one from shrockworks.

I have the fluid in my garage and didn't think about this until now... do I really need to replace the fluid, or could I just collect the old stuff in a new clean pan and put it back in? I only have 14k on my X...

I dunno, I already have the new Amsoil stuff, I should probably just use it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts