Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 2012 Murano Platinum for a little over a year and a half. Purchased it in Florida. She's a great car, and being a platinum has tons of bells and whistles. However, I just moved out to Denver, Colorado, and already have my first taste of real winter. She's got brand new tires, so the Murano is capable in the snow, but clearly the Murano is basically a car and the Xterra is an actually capable vehicle. And just looks infinitely cooler ;)

So here's my question: I currently owe roughly $10k on the Murano, she runs great, etc. However it's been appraised for a trade value of a little over $7k anywhere. At almost 100,000 miles, I feel like I may be better off simply finding a dealer with a lower-mileage Xterra ("lower" in this case meaning give or take 100k miles or less) and simply making an even trade for it. -- What do you guys think? Sensible? Senseless? Smart? Stupid?

As badly as I've wanted an Xterra, I'm aware that the Murano is a great, efficient, smooth little ride. But here in Denver, I feel like I'd be better off trading out my Murano considering I'm already upside down on her. Just want you guy's opinions on the matter before I do anything rash. What would you do?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Welcome!

I moved from Jacksonville FL out to denver about 3-4 years ago. down there i had a 350z which i traded for the x before the move. the z just wasnt going to cut it as the only car for my wife and i but im pretty sure when i get enough extxra cash im going to get another 350 or maybe a 370 Z for a summer car. .

My question to you and what i think you should think about is what you want to do with it. mostly city driving? the murano with some good snow tires will do almost as well as the X, unless the snow is so deep you need more ground clearance, but that is rarely the case, and if that happened the city would probably shut down! some people up here choose to buy two sets of wheels for their cars, summer and winter, not a bad choice. My Xterra, 4x4 but not Pro4x with falken wildpeak atw3's, "winter snowflake rated " tires I can pretty much get anywhere i need to go. now if its icy, it doesnt matter what you r driving unless its got studded tires.

If you want to go off roading, then the murano is going to be lacking in capability.

Personally i would try to get the murano at break even before trying to trade it. and i would spend a little extra to try and get a 2012+ p4x. If i could go back and buy a different X it would have been a p4x, but again I go offroading with it, if you dont plan on doing that then you dont NEED the pro4x.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Personally I've found AWD cuv's to be more capable in the snow for daily drivers. You're not going to run in 4x4 all the time in the winter in an X. Sure if it gets really bad or you go offroad the X is better.
If you just want an X, that's a different story. I'm more a fan of private sales, you pay for the convenience of the trade in. Really depends on how much easier the dealer can move either the Murano or the X.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'd want to get rid of the Murano before having transmission issues. We just traded in my gf's 2016 rogue and it was starting to smell and shutter really badly (signs a cvt is failing). It has 43k miles in it. I'm shocked yours hasn't failed yet but in CO I bet you will wear it out a lot faster than at sea level.

Transmission aside the awd Murano is likely better in daily driving in winter than an x for the reason mentioned by Intellectual Redneck. Winter tires for the cold and a set of no seasons or summers for warm weather. Unless you actually go far enough off road to warrant the clearance and 4x4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Personally i would try to get the murano at break even before trying to trade it. and i would spend a little extra to try and get a 2012+ p4x. If i could go back and buy a different X it would have been a p4x, but again I go offroading with it, if you dont plan on doing that then you dont NEED the pro4x.
Sorry, what do you mean "get the Murano at break before trying to trade it"? Ideally I'd love a P4X, especially a 2012+ P4X, but I've read that other than the rear diff and suspension changes, it's not really that much better than an S or X. I should mention I fully intend to upgrade the suspension components and outfit it fully for offroad (including armor), so the 'better' P4X stock suspension isn't a selling point on it's own. Are there considerable other features with the P4X that might make it worth the extra couple grand?

If you just want an X, that's a different story. I'm more a fan of private sales, you pay for the convenience of the trade in. Really depends on how much easier the dealer can move either the Murano or the X.
I'm also a fan of private sales, not just for the (usually) better prices, but for the experience overall. And the feeling of NOT feeling like I'm getting ripped off. I'm aware everyone is out to make a profit, I'm simply just trying to replace a car that I enjoy for a vehicle I can fully rely on that I'm in love with. At almost 100k miles, I'm afraid my transmission's days are numbered and I'd rather not be behind the wheel when it decides to sh*t the bed 😁
I'd want to get rid of the Murano before having transmission issues. We just traded in my gf's 2016 rogue and it was starting to smell and shutter really badly (signs a cvt is failing). It has 43k miles in it. I'm shocked yours hasn't failed yet but in CO I bet you will wear it out a lot faster than at sea level.
Whether the higher elevation has any real effect on the transmission is something I have no clue about, but I'm 100% thinking the same thing overall, that I want to bail out of the Murano before the transmission craps out. I'm not a big fan of CVT's overall to be honest, they just feel 'mushy' to me when driving, but I guess that's the point? I prefer a "normal" transmission, which I only recently felt for the first time in a long time when test driving a nearby 2013 Xterra P4X. It also felt great to be in a real sturdy vehicle vs a luxury-nail-salon-on-wheels that the Murano is.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got my 2010 Off Road, under 100k miles for $10k in Denver. Got hosed on my trade in but there was no way I was leaving town in the lemon of a Forester I was driving! If you don't get a P4X look for the Off Road package. She's a freaking mountain goat!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
I highly doubt you’ll find a dealer willing to swap even and you’ll need to kick in some cash or financing. I agree that you should wait till you’re above water on the Murano before trading it in (i.e. owe less than what it’s worth). The other thing to consider is that with the Murano you have a known entity, you know what service was done when and how well it’s been maintained. With the X you’re buying into a potential bag of worms, yes they’re reliable but no vehicle is reliable if it hasn’t been properly maintained. That being said life is too short to not drive something you don’t like. Ultimately, it’s your call but financially they’re are better choices (also worse so there’s that).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
There is a reason Subaru and their awd systems are so popular up north.

If my concerns were centered around snow and ice on road, I would prefer a awd vehicle with snow tires.

If your goal is off-roading, an Xterra is better suited.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Private sell your Murano, but that takes time. Don’t pay dealer asking price. Educate yourself with dealer offerings and go to buy at end of month.
Try private sales, you might find a gem...because of owner care.
You will have to fix something on the X.
Newer feels nicer.

Pursue different options but you may find a very nice setup that will effect your judgment and timing.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Sorry, what do you mean "get the Murano at break before trying to trade it"? Ideally I'd love a P4X, especially a 2012+ P4X, but I've read that other than the rear diff and suspension changes, it's not really that much better than an S or X. I should mention I fully intend to upgrade the suspension components and outfit it fully for offroad (including armor), so the 'better' P4X stock suspension isn't a selling point on it's own. Are there considerable other features with the P4X that might make it worth the extra couple grand?

I'm also a fan of private sales, not just for the (usually) better prices, but for the experience overall. And the feeling of NOT feeling like I'm getting ripped off. I'm aware everyone is out to make a profit, I'm simply just trying to replace a car that I enjoy for a vehicle I can fully rely on that I'm in love with. At almost 100k miles, I'm afraid my transmission's days are numbered and I'd rather not be behind the wheel when it decides to sh*t the bed 😁

Whether the higher elevation has any real effect on the transmission is something I have no clue about, but I'm 100% thinking the same thing overall, that I want to bail out of the Murano before the transmission craps out. I'm not a big fan of CVT's overall to be honest, they just feel 'mushy' to me when driving, but I guess that's the point? I prefer a "normal" transmission, which I only recently felt for the first time in a long time when test driving a nearby 2013 Xterra P4X. It also felt great to be in a real sturdy vehicle vs a luxury-nail-salon-on-wheels that the Murano is.
Break even = its worth the same amnt as you owe. make alittle larger paymenst for 6 mounts or so and you can make a big dent in the loan.

the p4x is more than better suspsention, it has different gearing and a locking rear diff... thats why i say if you plan to lift it an off road then go with a pro 4x from the get go. trust me I felt the same way and now i wish i had a locking rear diff.

but hey, if you really want an xterra, as long as you get a 4x4 and make sure it hasnt had SMOD, you cant really go wrong.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had a 2012 Murano Platinum for a little over a year and a half. Purchased it in Florida. She's a great car, and being a platinum has tons of bells and whistles. However, I just moved out to Denver, Colorado, and already have my first taste of real winter. She's got brand new tires, so the Murano is capable in the snow, but clearly the Murano is basically a car and the Xterra is an actually capable vehicle. And just looks infinitely cooler ;)

So here's my question: I currently owe roughly $10k on the Murano, she runs great, etc. However it's been appraised for a trade value of a little over $7k anywhere. At almost 100,000 miles, I feel like I may be better off simply finding a dealer with a lower-mileage Xterra ("lower" in this case meaning give or take 100k miles or less) and simply making an even trade for it. -- What do you guys think? Sensible? Senseless? Smart? Stupid?

As badly as I've wanted an Xterra, I'm aware that the Murano is a great, efficient, smooth little ride. But here in Denver, I feel like I'd be better off trading out my Murano considering I'm already upside down on her. Just want you guy's opinions on the matter before I do anything rash. What would you do?

Thanks!
Both vehicles are great but the Murano is basically an Altima/Maxima platform while the Xterra shares more with the Frontier & Titan. I would highly recommend a PRO-4X model (2010-2015 or 2005-2009 "Offroad") because they handle the rougher weather way better. World of a difference. Plus there are tons of upgrades available to make the ride more enjoyable. Most PRO-4X models have been very well taken-care of, while the regular 2wd models, not so much. Call or text me if you want more info. Irwin, senior member of SoCalXterra.com (909)two27-four62one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pursue it smartly. Try private sale and offer less than asked on Xterra.
Visit ready to pay at end of the month... year... They are more motivated to sell due to inventory costs.
Or private sale buy when you know the car has been taken care of with maintenance, looks, etc.

Even though I bought both of my Xterras on the spot.... it was just different ok? 😀
First was I am sick of not having a car and they totally messed up the new Grand Cherokee... and Nissan was right next to Jeep dealership.
The second time there was a horse...and night...overnight stay at the dealership...and October of the last year Xterras were made.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Even though I bought both of my Xterras on the spot.... it was just different ok?
First was I am sick of not having a car and they totally messed up the new Grand Cherokee... and Nissan was right next to Jeep dealership.
The second time there was a horse...and night...overnight stay at the dealership...and October of the last year Xterras were made.
That seems like a story dyin to be told

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Going back to your original post - as much as I love both of my Xterras, if I were you I would stick with the Murano for now. Here's why:
AWD vs 4WD - you don't say if you are moving "back" to Denver, or if you have moved to Denver for the first time. Assuming this is your first experience with driving in the snow, the Murano is going to be safer and easier. Nissan's active-whatever AWD system is excellent, we had a Rogue and that thing was an absolute beast in the snow - on par with both of our Subaru outbacks (I'm old, I've had a lot of cars). Assuming by new tires you mean new all-season or snow tires (stay away from studs - different topic). After the driver, the tires are the most important part of the equation, if they are not M+S rated, they are not doing you much good. Then spend this first winter learning how to drive in the snow. 4WD in the snow requires more thought and skill than AWD. BUT, if you have a lot of snow experience, then I still wouldn't do it, for my second reason.

2nd - you are upside down. That means you'l have a very difficult if not impossible time selling it private party for more than you owe, or you'll get even more upside down by trading it in through the dealer. They make it easy, but all they do is add what you owe on the car you're trading, plus the new car, plus everything else they can think of, into your new loan. I've made this mistake myself, we had a VW Jetta that was the POS model back in the '90's. Car kept shutting the headlights off while driving on the freeway, among other things. Was always "dealer can't duplicate", so no warranty help, and really nothing to be done - so we traded that way upside down car in on an Isuzu Rodeo (which was a great SUV) - but there we were making $454 month payments on a used Rodeo, and that was in 1996 dollars. The mortgage on my condo Was $700, and my car payment was $450. Seemed manageable at the time, but it took many, many years to crawl out from under that rock. 20+ years later, and I still remember that those payments were exactly $454. We honestly lived on mac and cheese and fish sticks for awhile, until we started to get ahead.

So that's my biggest reason - the Platinum series is a nice ride, great in the snow. I don't know about the CVT, I didn't love it in the Rogue, but if you have good maintenance history - for every "mine blew up at 1,000 miles" story there are many people quietly driving around with 150k on theirs, who have no idea it's a ticking time bomb. People rarely go on the internet to say they had a successful and uneventful car ownership experience.

My advice would be stick with the Murano this year, try to pay down that loan, and pick up a solid service history Pro-4X in the spring. You will owe less on the Murano, you'll have more snow driving experience, all the trails are closed until spring anyway, so you wont' miss any wheeling, etc...

Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts