Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a problem the other day with the traction control on my 12 P4x.
I went through a slick patch on a muddy road, and switched the TC to OFF. I felt the tires slip, and the the slip light flashed on and the TC system reacted. I thought it was a fluke.

However, yesterday it was raining here, so at a stop sign I switced the Traction Control off again. I tried to spin the tires, but again, the slip light flashed, and TC system kicked in.

I know the OFF button used to work, as I've switched it off many times in the mud and rain and spun the tires freely.

What the heck is going on??

·
Registered
38 Posts
The brake-actuated limited slip still functions with traction control off. It just no longer cuts engine power, and doesn't try to slow the car down.

If you're in the mud/rain, and both tires spin, the system will not kick in. It will still do so on ice, or if only one tire spins, to divert power to the other wheel.

At least that's how I understand it.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Hard to say exactly without being there, but it sure sounds like what you're describing is the difference between VDC & ABLS ... the VDC is what I think you're referring to as "traction control" and that I think of as active yaw control, Nissan calls it "Vehicle Dynamic Control". ABLS is Nissan's "Active Braking Limited Slip" and is their system of using the ABS to provide an "LSD-Like" effect on the axle.

The difference would be, between slipping a tire while trying to go straight (ABLS) and spinning both tires while trying to go around a corner (VDC). VDC is the only thing enabled/disabled by the "Off Button" ... IIRC.

ETA: aliu beat me to the punch ... that's pretty much what I was trying to say. :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience the VDC off button does not turn it off all the way. If I am in a high steering angle drift/slide it kicks in and ruins the fun.

·
Registered
648 Posts
as mentioned hit vdc button and all that is left working is the limited slip function of the brakes. when its off its well and truly off......i've done plenty of donuts in the snow and it will spin and spin and spin

·
Registered
368 Posts
It is fine most of the time, but it still is active at speed and higher steering angles. ABS does not stop you from sliding sideways and try to keep you from looping it. Again just from my personal experience last year and two days ago.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience the VDC off button does not turn it off all the way. If I am in a high steering angle drift/slide it kicks in and ruins the fun.
It is fine most of the time, but it still is active at speed and higher steering angles. ABS does not stop you from sliding sideways and try to keep you from looping it. Again just from my personal experience last year and two days ago.
hgdude is right ... likely what you're experiencing is, in fact, the ABLS engaging due to a sensed differential rotation of the wheels. If it's well and truly slick, take it out to an empty parking lot (or if you're feeling adventurous, an open day on the Georgetown ice track) and turn the VDC off ... pin the throttle, and I'm quite confident it'll go around as many times as you let it.

Pulling into ski lots, it's fun to pop off a 25 or 50 foot stint at 45* slip (necessitating pretty decent opposite lock) and watch the looks on the attendants faces ... at least for the first bit, until they realize you know how to control the vehicle and are doing it intentionally. :eek:ccasion5:

·
on line
22,508 Posts
hgdude is right ... likely what you're experiencing is, in fact, the ABLS engaging due to a sensed differential rotation of the wheels. If it's well and truly slick, take it out to an empty parking lot (or if you're feeling adventurous, an open day on the Georgetown ice track) and turn the VDC off ... pin the throttle, and I'm quite confident it'll go around as many times as you let it.

Pulling into ski lots, it's fun to pop off a 25 or 50 foot stint at 45* slip (necessitating pretty decent opposite lock) and watch the looks on the attendants faces ... at least for the first bit, until they realize you know how to control the vehicle and are doing it intentionally. :eek:ccasion5:
Even more fun if you put it in 2wd and lock the rear air locker! Bwauhahaha! :D

·
Registered
648 Posts

yes, a few days ago, i kicked it off on the street in front of my house and spun all 4,

at one point i had a friend fall asleep- then wake up screaming bloody murder as the truck was spinning in circles. when she realized what I'd done she threatened to sh** in my truck

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses.

I guess I've just never noticed it before? I have turned it off and kicked the back end around a few times before... but I guess I was spinning both tires equally???

I'll have to play around with it again and see what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts