Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to preface by saying i used to race, real race cars around real race tracks but.....
I didnt think i was pushing my X that hard.

So here is my question. Anyone push their X hard enough to have SLIP turn on and traction control engage? Damn thing almost threw me off the road when it tried engaging. Or is it more likely that i have a dif problem?

I have had similar problem in the past but that was SLIP light, traction control did not engage but it was during hard cornering and i really did have a dif problem.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'm going to preface by saying i used to race, real race cars around real race tracks but.....

So here is my question. Anyone push their X hard enough to have SLIP turn on and traction control engage? Damn thing almost threw me off the road when it tried engaging. Or is it more likely that i have a dif problem?

I have had similar problem in the past but that was SLIP light, traction control did not engage but it was during hard cornering and i really did have a dif problem.
Well the only thing I could suggest is turn off VDC and do it in again. VDC is for sure felt when it thinks the vehicle is skidding as it breaks individual tires to try and correct a straight path.

****, I dont know if 2005 came with VDC as a standard option.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Do you have a lift, bigger tires, anything like that installed? Have you removed your sway bars?

This is an extremely common issue with guys that have lifted etc etc, do a couple searches for it and you'll find a lot of info about it. If you are totally stock, then not really as common and may have just pushed it a bit.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mostly stock. Firestone Air-ride as far as anything suspension etc. is concerned.

'05 OR so i do have VDC but i forgot to mention, the reason it stumped me is because I had no loss of traction. Just some hard cornering.

Side note... anyone else notice that when you kill VDC it doesn't actually kill traction control? kinda pisses me off that unless you are in 4lo etc. there is no way to completely kill it.

I'm not a rock climber or a mudder. Realistically i should own a WRX or EVO but i hate them so i do high speed rally/ drift on dirt trails etc. in the many SUV's i have owned.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Mine kicks in occasionally when I push it too hard. Especially, in the rain. You can feel it, but it actually works really well and its not too rough or intrusive.

I was really impressed with the wet traction on my Discoverer ATPs and kept pushing it harder and harder till I found their breaking point. Its the back end that tries to come around, but the VDC kicks in an straightens things out before I can even react to do it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'm with Jeff on this one. I hate the traction control in our rigs. I feel like it is clunky and slow. Unless you are the type to scream like a girl, slam the brakes and let go of the wheel, it's crap.

Having grown up without all the fancy albs/tc/anti lock stuff, they don't do what you expect a out of control vehicle to do at all. You are almost better off turning into that screaming girl and not fight it.:salute:

Remember when they used to go no matter what when the gas was pushed? When you had to modulate your own brakes or when there was only two braking zones to a vehicle (F&R)? Damn, I sound old!:confused:

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I'm on mobile so I can't see what year your Xterra is, but on my 2010 it's not overly intrusive like a lot of vehicles are. I know how to drive a vehicle well beyond its design limits without any traction aid and it doesn't bother me. The only thing annoying is that you can't fully defeat it. However, in those cases I shouldn't have been doing what I was doing (on the streets) anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so the only other time i have had anything similar to this was when my dif was a bit low because of my bad seal. Just went to top it off and it was not low at all.... Wonder if it was my driving and i am overthinking this.
Time to go buy another small car. I need to get into the twisties from time to time and this just isnt the vehicle for it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have hit the electronic wall too

Time to go buy another small car. I need to get into the twisties from time to time and this just isnt the vehicle for it.
Yeah, I have a few Ford Mustangs to play with and it helps keep me from pushin' the X too much.
I have had some issues like yours when I push the X like a Stang.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 2013 Altima SV 2.5L. First vehicle I have ever owned besides the 2012 Off road X that has traction control. I was pushing it a bit on a familiar corner in the rain when the "traction control" kicked in. I too almost lost my car that day as I had already "prepped" for the rear end to skid by slightly turning the wheel into the corner. When it kicked in it straightened the car right towards the guard rail! I was lucky there was a wide shoulder on that curve and no oncoming traffic. I have since played with the traction control feature in a more controlled manner and now know what to expect, but that first time was a scary experience.

I have not had the nerve to push the X that hard yet. It's not my daily driver so I have less experience in it. Maybe KY will get some snow this year so I can play with it to see what it does. ;)

On another note my 2000 X would drift quite nicely as it had no computer to spoil the fun! :iconbiggrin:

·
Registered
194 Posts

I have had the traction control trigger a few times during what I would call normal driving. I find it annoying as many here do.

One thing I am still trying to work out is just how "off" the VDC is when the traction control is switched off. I got my truck very sideways on a rainy day and at full swing it felt like the rear tire hit the curb and bounced back quite violently. It did the same thing in the other direction before I got things sorted out. Thing is there was no curb for the tire to hit so I think the VDC actually kicked in and pushed me back the other direction.

Thing is it caught me by surprise and was quite abrupt which sent me to near full lock in the opposite direction. I do not like it at all that the truck is doing stuff I haven't asked it to do at a time when I don't know it is coming. :cussing:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
VDC disabled is suppose to kill your yaw sensing which makes the vehicle go into oversteer a lot more easily. It will oversteer but if you go in to fast the system will still engage but it is a lot lot less temperamental when it is off. I only had it engage a handful of times when turned off and it was in the snow trying to drift turns. What I found to work was hitting a snowy parking lot and trying to over power the VDC when it is on so when I do turn it off, it slides like a school girl on ice skates.

The slip light will always light up when a wheel slips because the ABLS is engaging and that can never be turned off, at least by pushing the button.

The noise is the same when either system engages because it is using the ABS to slow the faster rotating tire.

I know it is confusing because the slip light illuminates for both ABLS and VDC engagement.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yeah, I noticed when doing 4wd drifts in the snow that of you get more than about 30% sideways it will kick in.

That is kind of annoying but most people will never have that problem.

Its also kind of dangerous because it kicked in without me expecting it and slammed the rear end back the other direction quite violently. Took me quite by surprise.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
It's been my experience (stock with 32" A/Ts) that it likes to oversteer, but if you push it real hard it will understeer. Likely due to the relatively soft suspension inducing body roll and the 32" A/T tires on 16" wheels.

I've only pushed it that hard a few times (not safe). I was seeing how it handled with the new tires, there was no one else on the road, and I know how to drive vehicles past intended design limits. [/disclaimer].

FYI, most vehicles are designed to oversteer when pushed too hard because your average driver can handle understeer easier than oversteer.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in this thread, but we not only have VDC in our X's we also have ABLS (Anti-Lock Brake Limited Slip). The VDC prevent the vehicle from a) spinning tires excessively and b) sliding out sideways in a turn by either backing off the throttle and/or applying the brakes. I've experienced both scenarios. With the VDC off, you can do things like donuts and drifting, but the ABLS is still active - even in 4wd lo.

The ABLS senses a difference between the left and right tires on each axle and uses the brakes to slow the faster spinning tire. I noticed it working when climbing or descending hills and can feel/hear the brakes being applied. The sound is a rapid grrr, as if something is grinding, but that's just the anti-lock sensors applying the brakes at whatever frequency the system uses.

At first, I didn't know about ABLS, but after some research and some video footage of my X going up hills with one tire in the air (but not spinning much), I realized what was going on. It's a lot like the Toyota ATRAC system.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
if you want vdc, abls and all those fancy bits disabled, just do what i did. i cant really tell you what i did because i dont know what caused it but my slip light is on and now those systems are disabled. i probably dont have abs either, but im used to doing without it so its nice to be able to just drive my x and not having the vdc kick in. if i figure out how to fix what i broke, ill let ya know ;D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts