Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This project (and its associated thunder) shamelessly stolen from Ricel, who recently discovered that the Harbor Freight hitch basket fits perfectly into the cargo area. Not the first converted hitch basket here, just the newest one on the block.

I have opted for a cantilever design, cuz I wanna. It is welded at a ten-degree angle to accomodate for the slope of the cargo area floor (props to Monster for that number).

So far the only money I've spent was on the basket itself ($50 with a coupon), the rest is all leftover stock from building my bumper (and what an efficient build that was...I have nothing left now!). At this point all that's left to do structurally is extend the feet a bit until the rack can balance on its own, maybe throw in a gusset or two, and get some real channel nuts instead of the OEM tiedown nonsense (which aren't long enough anyway).

Once it's mounted I'm going to pretty much skin the thing with Quickfists and I might stretch some canvas across the shelf to prevent things from falling through.

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet. Do you have a picture of it installed?
Nah, gotta get some new hardware for the utili-track. Maybe tomorrow.

At least change the title before the name catches on and everyone thinks you made it up. Biter!
This is my interior cargo rack. There are many like it but this one is mine!

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's absolutely perfect!

...is what I would be saying had I actually written down any of my measurements.

You saw nothing.

So, obviously needs some work (I did none of the stuff I said I was going to...lazy bones!). But it sure has cleaned up my cargo area!

·
Super Moderator
4,532 Posts
What is holding it up in the rear?

Edit: Read the OP again.

What is the weight limit for the cantilevered rack? Does it shake or vibrate with only two legs?

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What is the weight limit for the cantilevered rack? Does it shake or vibrate with only two legs?
The basket itself will nominally support 500. Welded just to the two legs, I'm going to say no more than 50 (any weight on the front will exert force exponentially to the back - 50 pounds become 300). Adding gussets will spread that force out.

It does shake over bumps, but do keep in mind it's currently only secured on one side so I don't know how it really behaves yet.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't know how to weld, but it looks like it'd be simple enough to bedline 1" square steel tubing from Home Depot/Lowes and bolt it to rack. Now if only the temp would rise above -10...

·
Registered
6,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't know how to weld, but it looks like it'd be simple enough to bedline 1" square steel tubing from Home Depot/Lowes and bolt it to rack. Now if only the temp would rise above -10...
Yep. Maybe fancy it up with some angle brackets and you're good. Hell, use some self-drilling screws and save yourself some time!

·
Registered
321 Posts
And a diagonal from the legs (maybe a third of the way up) to the bottom of the basket would make it stronger. Not that it'd hold those 500 pounds, but it would allow it to hold lots more.

I like this better than what I put together (shown here). I may just have to get me one of these baskets. HPH

1 - 20 of 99 Posts