Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 Pro4x a few months ago. I love it.
(Minus having to deal with Nissan dealers...)

I was looking for winter tires and rims and was surprised how rare they were for Xterra 16" [email protected] I bought Ion Model#179 + Toyo Observe Gsi5. I still need to tell the guy if I want the TPMS sensor installed or not.

Question 1:
If I don't have the TPMS sensors installed, I will have the LED warning light in the dash, but will I also have the LCD stating check tire pressure all the time?
(Where the odometer lcd is). Or does it only say "check tire pressure" then disappears ?

Question 2:
If I don't have TPMS installed with winter rims, when I put back my summer tire rims, will the car just pickup the signal automatically or do i have to reset it?

Question 3:
If I have TPMS installed, when I will be switching the tires back in forth, it looks like I need to reprogram the sensors (winter/summer). Did anyone ever tried that tool ?

http://www.amazon.com/ATEQ-QuickSet-TPMS-Reset-Tool/dp/B008SCWXN4

Thanks in advance,
Ben

·
Registered
321 Posts
I bought a fifth OEM wheel so I could do five-tire rotations; after the first such rotation (and a few miles of driving) the TPMS light blinked for several minutes and now is on steadily. This is the system's signal that something's wrong (not a low pressure indication). I've not seen any other indicators (the LCD or anything else).

I'm sure that, after four more swaps (when all four tires with sensors are back on the car), the light will go off after a few miles -- although I won't notice because of the black tape I put over it. HPH

·
on line
2,305 Posts
2) correct
3) generally you get sensors with a fixed signal, you program the vehicle to match the sensors. But if you find a good shop with the right tools (by Schrader) you can get new sensors that can be programed to the same as the originals (all aftermarket stuff through a tire dealer with the correct Schrader parts). This is really slick as you can change between the tires all you want and never have to reprogram anything ever. If not then you have to have the vehicle relearn the TPMS sensors each time you change tires back and forth.

FYI, "Schrader" is a brand name in this case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies.

I think I will just put the wheels without sensors for now.

I will investigate a bit further. If I can get the "Schrader" sensors and have them programmed the same, then I will go with this option.

Thanks,
Ben

1 - 4 of 4 Posts