Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took the X out to visit family today for somewhat of a family emergency. In the process, I put around 220miles on her. No big deal, she ran great the whole time and pulled in around 18.5mpg for the trip..

On the way back however, the TPMS light began flashing, then turned solid after a few minutes. I pulled off the freeway and checked all the tires with my digital tire pressure gauge.. The tires read:

61.0|59.5
60.5|59.0

I turned the car off, then back on with more flashing, turning to solid after a few mins.

When I finally got off the freeway near home, I pulled into a gas station to fill up and recheck the tires. I then adjusted them all to 59 PSI exactly. The light came back on after flashing again and stayed on the additional 3 miles to my home.

Is there a way to reset the TPMS? Is there a way to pull a code from it? My small scanner I carry with me did not detect any trouble codes.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Doesn't it go off if the pressure is too high? If I remember right there's a low and high range for it. Cold PSI is supposed to be 35 all around, but I have to keep my back tires low enough that the light is on all the time anyway to have even tread wear.

If you're pushing 60psi after a long drive your tires must be overinflated. I've checked it after a good drive during the summer and they are never above 40 even when inflated to 35psi cold.

Edit: When a sensor went bad in a family members Nissan, the light would flash for a bit when first turned on and then stay solid. He never fixed it. If I can manage to get a tire shop to do it, I'm replacing all valve stems with regular ones when I need new tires. The range on them is ridiculous. I have to keep mine above 35 and get excessive center tread wear on the back tires if I want my light to stay off.

You just need a paper clip and the time to adjust cold psi on all four tires, as instructed in this post, to reset the TPMS. I've done it and it does work: http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/reset-tpms-warning-yourself-works-74391/

·
TNX Administrator
20,234 Posts
Yep, mine are set at;

Summer: 35psi
Winter: 40psi

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Mine did that one time when there was a 12vdc power cord from the front outlet to the rear seat area for a portable dvd player. All tires were ok pressure but light would stay on . Never did it again until front tire blew out and there was no air in it :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Flashing then solid is generally some kind of system fault (a bad sensor, etc.). Maybe high pressures cause a fault, but it might be a sensor. (When I rotated on my spare tire -- with no sensor -- this is what happened.)

In any case I bet the ride on those ~60psi tires was, er, firm. HPH

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've had the TPMS warning light come on randomly ever since I got the X. In 6 months, it has come on 4 times. It usually goes off ehortly after coming on. Just this morning, it came on then went off twice... I am getting the impression that Nissan didn't do a very good job with this system.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
I run mine between 35 and 40 psi. 35" Cepeks, and every time the temp drops below freezing the light comes on. Drives me crazy. Being -5 here today of course it came on.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I've had the TPMS warning light come on randomly ever since I got the X. In 6 months, it has come on 4 times. It usually goes off ehortly after coming on. Just this morning, it came on then went off twice... I am getting the impression that Nissan didn't do a very good job with this system.
Mine went off all the time from the month I bought it new, after a few years of that I just removed the bezel and covered the bulb. If you have a flat you're going to feel it in the car you don't need a light to inform you especially from this horrible system.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Keep in mind the cold really messes with TPMs alot. Doesn't sound like the OPs issue, but I get the light and a lot of our fleet trucks have funky TPMs warnings on cold mornings since the air pressure inside the tire is lower than normal.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
after this snow, my tpms light came on and the LOUD 30 second constant beep turned on. checked my tires, front passenger was at like 30, and the rest around 40. so it's working great on my tires! =) it's too cold to check the reason to the big change in pressure. and now that i'm sick, i won't be looking for a while.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine warned me of a flat just in time.

If you have a flat you're going to feel it in the car you don't need a light to inform you especially from this horrible system.
I thought this too until recently when my light came on.
The X was driving just fine.
I had a large screw in the tire and the tire still had 27lbs. in it.
The system had warned me before I was low enough on air to feel any problem.
That was enough air to drive a comfortable place to fix it.
My 2011 system works well enough for me.:dontknow:

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I thought this too until recently when my light came on.
The X was driving just fine.
I had a large screw in the tire and the tire still had 27lbs. in it.
The system had warned me before I was low enough on air to feel any problem.
That was enough air to drive a comfortable place to fix it.
My 2011 system works well enough for me.:dontknow:
Just to chime in with my $0.02 the system has always worked perfectly well in my 05. Only complaint is I wish it recognized a 5th sensor to rotate the spare.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Yup, worked great for me, too, when I had the sensors all installed ... I got rid of them partially for that reason (five tire rotation), and partly because the stems for the sensors are hard, fixed stems. I was worried one would rub on a rock and break ... rubber stems will bend, at least more than a sensor stem.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Surf and Snow said:
Only complaint is I wish it recognized a 5th sensor to rotate the spare.
YES!!!

General_Tarfun said:
I just removed the bezel and covered the bulb.
How does one remove the bezel? I've got tape on mine (on the plastic cover) and it isn't the best way to cover up that &$^#% TPMS warning light. Thanks, HPH

1 - 20 of 55 Posts