Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very much considering getting these wheels from tire rack:

But then I saw this:

"Your vehicle is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system that requires a sensor to be installed in the tire and wheel assembly for proper operation.

The wheel you have selected is not designed to accept tire pressure monitoring system sensors."

So what would have happen if I install these wheels? Will a light go off and that's it or is something bigger going to happen?

Thanks in advance!

·
on line
13,467 Posts
I didnt install the tire pressure sensors in my new wheels. I have a light on all the time on my insturment panel, but i could care less about that. Thats all that would happen. No big deal.

Those lug centric or hub centric!!!? Look in the wheel and tire section for the threads on that topic.

·
on line
166 Posts
According to TireRack the wheels listed are hub-centric, and do not require a ring, but the lack of TPMS isn't a good thing. I have seen dealers void warranties because the car couldn't "monitor" itself correctly...

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went ahead and ordered them. I think they will look pretty good especially since my x is silver.

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
miles said:
how much are they?
They were $531 delivered ie 114 a piece plus 50 something for delivery.

Pics to come soon!

My x is only 2 weeks old so a lot has been done in a lil time after this Ill have to give her a break for a bit.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
When i installed my rims...the dealer told me I didnt have to put in the tire presure sesors. My rms have been on for a week now and the light has not come on. The dealer said when I decide to sesors on it would take them just a second to reset them.

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got uhm on, no problems whatsoever!

Pics to come!

·
on line
1,420 Posts
There is a trick that you can put the TPMS sensors on any wheel with straps..

the straps (there are two kinds) are the kinda that HVAC mechanic use. building AC guys.

1. Panduit straps - (i hope i spelled that right)
2. Worm gear straps

I have a Nissan 350Z with the same sensors and there is a how to on my350z.com, Let me find the link:
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49675

you can buy the worm gear straps from here or try your local hardware store, typically an building AC company:
http://www.hosexpress.com/clampsandtools/wormgearclamps.htm
or
http://www.heavydutystore.com/

and use the worm gear clamps in combination with 5/8" plywood spacer. (see pic below)

With this set up, you can mount those sensors on any car wheel. Hopefully your aftermarket wheels stem location has room to mount normally but if
they dont then this is your alternative. Ive also heard of some using a silicone type adheasive as well with the straps to aid in mounting the sensors this
way as well.

anyone that does this is welcome to use these pics and make a "how to" I wish i had time to do so, but anyone is welcome to.
if i get some free time this weekend ill do it.
- Jason

·
on line
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jasontamu,

Thanks for the heads up! Now, I dont think they installed them but I have oddly enough no warning light has turned on either, go figure..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts